Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
whole weekend = useless? Acryl-r consistency

Holy crap - I'm just beside myself. I've had two or three posts over the past 5 years suggesting my overwhelming frustration. Each has to do with using sealants. Is it really necessary to be this friggin' hard????

Found that my vulkem is expired so, put that on the back-burner and decided to work with the Acryl-R that I've had for awhile.

I cannot get it to pump-up through the nozzle. It is a little more difficult to pump than when I started trying, and the can is "oil-canning" but nothing will draw up through the nozzle. 10 minutes of pumping and my hand is cramping. The can is room temp - about 68 deg.

Can anyone tell me what the consistency of Acryl-R is supposed to be? My can is very, very, very thick. In fact, when I unscreed the lid, the stuff inside wasn't level - it looked like a mountain range - not leveling at all. I shoved the nozzle down inside and, when I withdraw it, the Acryl-R is stuck to the nozzle innerard but certainly isn't moving around much.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I had the same thing happen. I tried cleaning the whole thing out & starting over, but I really just made a mess. I threw the whole business out & bought a new can & pump--cause I wasted about 3 hours just fooling with it! After all that, I decided I really like Tempro better anyhow....:-/

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Well the stuff in my can is fairly self leveling, not that it matters, I can't get the applicator to work either, useless IMHO. If anyone has helpful tips I'll try again but I'm not hopeful.

Where I care about appearance I'll use the aluminum colored gutter seal from VTS. Like Becky I use Tempro for almost everything , and Captain Tolleys which is great for sealing rivets and small cracks
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I remove tip & tube after each use. Put a red plastic extension from WD40 down the tube & the wire that comes with the Plews pump in the tip. A plastic cap over the pump outlet. A little mineral spirits down the tube extension working in/out with the red plastic, wipe clean with disposable rags and store in cool place. Acetone would probably soften it if it's cured.

SFSG This can is a little over a year old.

At room temperature it's about as thick as a good goober.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09217.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	198827  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
At room temperature it's about as thick as a good goober.

Bob

Goober. Is that like "snot"? Mine is thicker than snot. Thicker than Vulkem. Not quite as thick as silly putty. But it kinda reminds me of salt water taffy.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote