Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down What To Use?:leak Around Tank Vent

Found this today while roam'n on the roof. There was a screw in the hole but was not attached to anything! Plan to resecure the vent, but what would Ya'all suggest for a sealant. Anyone know what the factory uses?,might want to avoid that one. I've noticed on other threads similar roof sealent concerns. Do ya remove and re-seal a vent or Skylight that isn't leaking, or just clean and seal. They sure are sloppy, I guess they figger no one will go up on top. You can bet from now on I'll be check'n several times a year!!!

P.S. I just noticed after enlarging the pic's.... If you look closely you can see the other mount holes are just covered over with cualk. Probably saved a few cents there!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 011.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	44352   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 012.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	44353  

Old 09-04-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
It looks like they screwed it down and covered it with butyl tape. You could clean it up and replace it with the butyl between the vent and body this time. Or, cut a gasket out of shower pan liner or pipe saddle gasket, put it back on then seal the edge with vulkem or alcoa gutter seal.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Been there done that

Hello.. Hubby replaced ours this spring .. best to start from scratch...these can be bought from any RV place .. are not special for A/S... did the same thing on our previous 5th wheel... they do deteriorate from the sun..might want to think about the metal ones from Vintage trailer supply..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...nts-24437.html

Here is a good link that John HD posted for us. I think you might find it helpful.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up The Roof Vent Is Fixed, Thanks To John Hd For The Tips.

Well, the tank vent is fixed, spent several hours this afternoon on the roof of the A/S.
The biggest pain in the butt was getting all the old goop off. Replaced the six self-drilling screws with 10 new stainless. The gasket that JC must have felt wasn't necessary was cut from an inner tube. As you can see the space for the vent is rather cramped, who knows why it has to be so close to the fridge vent.
Applied the polyurathane sealent to both sides of the gasket and around the hole for the vent tube. Also a bead was put around the opening for the vent in the plastic vent cover. All in all I think it came out pretty well.
Thanks again to John HD for the tips!! Be safe.....keep Stream'n
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 021.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	44697   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 017.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	44698  

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 019.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	44699   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 020.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	44700  

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 022.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	44701   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 023.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	44702  

Old 09-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Robert,

I did mine this summer on my '03 CCD. Got some advice from a local RV repair place where I got the new vents. Looks like you did a great job. My only advice would be to fill the hole where the cap hold down screw is to seal a future potential leak. As you already know - these things deteriorate over time and the plastic flexes in the suns heat. That screw is in a blind hole and new it's no problem but with time it may crack the stem but still hold on. This will allow water to get under and on the inside gasket. No need for that build up - I just filled mine with C-10 roof sealant which I also used to seal the base.

I do like the extra screws - I sorta noticed some distortion as I tightened mine down like a lug nut pattern.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
robert,

that looks great! no leaks there for sure!

john
Old 09-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Robert,

I My only advice would be to fill the hole where the cap hold down screw is to seal a future potential leak. As you already know - these things deteriorate over time and the plastic flexes in the suns heat. That screw is in a blind hole and new it's no problem but with time it may crack the stem but still hold on. This will allow water to get under and on the inside gasket. No need for that build up - I just filled mine with C-10 roof sealant which I also used to seal the base.

I do like the extra screws - I sorta noticed some distortion as I tightened mine down like a lug nut pattern.

Mike
Mike: Thanks for that tip.... for sure a good idea
I'll be back up there tomorrow, took the A/C shroud off to fiberglass all the screw holes. Noticed when I discovered the vent leak last week that they were all were cracked. There is a light at the end of this tunnel......right????
Old 05-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Interesting thread, now I have more chores to do. Is the roof strong enough for me to walk on it? I have an '05 model. Thanks in advance
goldwing70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Why not paint it silver? That will reduce the UV damage and make it last longer and look more airstreamish.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote