Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Question What caulk goes here?

Next up- Sealing top strip above window frame and where the external skin panels connect... What caulk do you all use to seal these areas? I have attached 2 pictures of the area in question:

#1 See the tip of the tool? What caulk is good to use in that "channel"?

#2 See the rivets where the panels meet? Is it possible to work-in a tiny bead of caulk in the tiny gap between panels?

Tks, Z.
Attached Images

Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You should use Vulkem, or Silkaflex. Vulkem for the larger gaps, and Silkaflex for the smaller ones. You should never use caulk on an Airstream, some of the materials found in it will attack the skin of the trailer.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Hey Thanks. Where do you buy Silkaflex? What color is it? I have lots of Vulkem. I used it to seal the new roof vents. But somehow did not think it the right seal for exterior gaps and around the window frame...& yes I was using the word caulk incorrectly... I should have said seal product etc... Tks, Z.
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I got a tube from our local Airstream dealer, plus it's available from the Airstream store, Inland RV, and I seem to remember seeing it at Vintage Trailer Supply.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The Sikaflex you want is Sikaflex 221. The gray color is a close match for aluminum. Here's a link for the gray - Austin Hardware & Supply Inc. :: Sealants & Adhesives :: SIKAFLEX 221 :: 221-G

You'll probably want to find a finer application tool. I'm thinking maybe a syringe without needle from the vet area at a local farm & fleet store.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Sikaflex is good stuff as is the Trempro 635 which I have used over the last couple of years. Both are available at Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Just checked and the website shows Trempro 635 and Vulkem 636 which is a little slower to set up than the 635. Interesting that Tremco is in the process of deleting the name Vulkem from their products. I didn't see the Sikaflex.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote