Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #1

1996 34' Excella
Anch. , Alaska
Angry Water problem

We are getting water on the floor under the carpet which is being drawn up the back of the dinette by the entry door in heavy rain such as here in New Hampshire. I have gone over the top seams with a fine tooth comb cannot see any place water could enter. There were two small seam spots a 1/2 in long that looked open I caulked them but not sure that was the problem. If anyone out there has had a similar problem give us a howler. Also where can I get some Of the seam sealer Airstream uses and the applicator.
eugene719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Bad Water...

Eugene-

Those leaks are not good, and will do harm to floor and more..

Sealer source for Vulkem is either your local Airstream dealer or Vintage Trailer Supply (website and web ordering..) or other Airstream-focused parts places. You won't find it at Camping World or Lowes or Home Depot, so don't bother... VTS also sells small hypodermic syringe for delicate installations...

As for sources, it could be coming from anywhere above where it ends up, including around roof vents, tops of windows, marker lights, bottoms of windows, awnings, etc. Roof vents for fridge, bathroom, and tanks are common sources of leaks.. If you can't find with good ladder and inspection, try having someone blast sections with a hose while you're inside waiting for wetness...

There are many threads you can search here about leaks and how to find them and stop them.. Sigh...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Is the floor wet between the dinette bases or just at the door? Does it get wet just sitting still or when moving down the highway? Have you checked the windows over the dinette? Just need some further info.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Conduluminum--Bought a tube of Vulkem at Home Depot in Woodbury MN two weeks ago.--

Hi Conduluminum--Bought a tube of Vulkem at Home Depot in Woodbury MN two weeks ago.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #5

1996 34' Excella
Anch. , Alaska
Exclamation Wet dinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn
Is the floor wet between the dinette bases or just at the door? Does it get wet just sitting still or when moving down the highway? Have you checked the windows over the dinette? Just need some further info.
We had it rain for 6 days straight in N.H. It got wet uner the front seat of dinette and back upholstery of dinette back by entryway it discolored the upholstery 8" up. This happened sitting still my thought is in heavy rain it must not take much of a crack to leak like this. I'd appreciate yer input.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #6

1996 34' Excella
Anch. , Alaska
Stumped on leak

[quote=Condoluminum]Eugene-

Those leaks are not good, and will do harm to floor and more..

Sealer source for Vulkem is either your local Airstream dealer or Vintage Trailer Supply (website and web ordering..) or other Airstream-focused parts places. You won't find it at Camping World or Lowes or Home Depot, so don't bother... VTS also sells small hypodermic syringe for delicate installations...

As for sources, it could be coming from anywhere above where it ends up, including around roof vents, tops of windows, marker lights, bottoms of windows, awnings, etc. Roof vents for fridge, bathroom, and tanks are common sources of leaks.. If you can't find with good ladder and inspection, try having someone blast sections with a hose while you're inside waiting for wetness...

Well it is under the front dinette seat and the back of same by entry door the upholstery is discolored about 8" up. My assumption is it is comming dn in the inside of the wall we did have conciderable rain here in N.H. I found 2 small seam openings 1/2" where front skin and side join the roof pannels that area looked like it might puddle there a bit I siliconed the spots temporary they looked tight but I could see no caulk there as the rest of the seam. .. .
Old 05-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Have you checked the bottom of the refigerator access frame where it meets the compartment botoom. If the sealer has cracked or has voids it can get in the wall and follow wall extrusion forward to first opening and run out on floor. Just a thought.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
If leak is around the dinette in front, odds are better than 50/50 leak is related to front/curved windows or "marker lights" at upper surface of coach in front... Leak doesn't have to look large, and may be literally the size of a pinhole or sliver crack. The other source could be the front door, including the light unit over the door, if yours has one... The rubber seal ring around curved windows can harden and let water in, as can the seal at the top of window frames, and areas where plastic window protectors mount.. May also be getting in around battery box doors...

Resist urge to use silicone sealer.. Get Vulkem or parbond or other polyurethane based sealant instead...

(And Frank proved that Home Depot's are not some monolithic national mega-box evil empire.. I'll amend my remarks to say that Home Depots in California do not carry Vulkem...)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote