Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Neptune Beach , Florida
Water leak

Hi there, we were camping the other day for the weekend and it rained all night. The next morning I noticed a leak on the wall next to the bed. We have a 28 foot Interstate Serenity. The leak was from the screw where the curtain mount goes. I was worried there might be a lot of water in the wall or even in the floor. I am enclosing some pictures. Has anyone dealt with this problem? How was the fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2767.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	382265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2766.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	382266  

NascarNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Just gotta go outside and check for entry points around the area. Usually you can see gaps in silicone or cracking. Check your window, we had small leaks in our front windows and just ended up running more silicone in the joint where the window meets the aluminum.

This is all on the exterior you should be looking and sealing. You may have a belt line around that screw? It could also be coming from the ceiling and just making itís way down towards the screw at some point?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarNomads View Post
Hi there, we were camping the other day for the weekend and it rained all night. The next morning I noticed a leak on the wall next to the bed. We have a 28 foot Interstate Serenity. The leak was from the screw where the curtain mount goes. I was worried there might be a lot of water in the wall or even in the floor. I am enclosing some pictures. Has anyone dealt with this problem? How was the fix?
Hi NascarNomads,*
Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 11-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
Freedom

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Schedule an appointment with Airstream Factory Repair. They are the only one that will fix this fully instead of trying to patch it up to stop the leak. Your concern is correct about there possibly being water in the walls and unless you have a 2021 model in the plywood floor which could be really, really bad.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Just gotta go outside and check for entry points around the area. Usually you can see gaps in silicone or cracking. Check your window, we had small leaks in our front windows and just ended up running more silicone in the joint where the window meets the aluminum.

This is all on the exterior you should be looking and sealing. You may have a belt line around that screw? It could also be coming from the ceiling and just making itís way down towards the screw at some point?
Ohhhh, would that it was that way. Only rarely have I found the quick and obvious discrepancy that was actually the fix for a leak. Even more so after my initial reseal of poorly done factory sealing.
Water almost always travels horizontally within the walls somewhere from its source to its visible evidence.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
So you want OP to check the opposite end of the trailer?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
So you want OP to check the opposite end of the trailer?
Depending how he's parked, maybe. But seriously, that's an excessive conclusion to what I said or mean. My point is looking at the area of the visible water, or directly above it, rarely solves the issue. With OP's situation, water up higher on the wall, it significantly narrows the "cone" of potential sources, but I'd wager it will take a lot of strategy based testing and diagnosing to find it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Depending how he's parked, maybe. But seriously, that's an excessive conclusion to what I said or mean. My point is looking at the area of the visible water, or directly above it, rarely solves the issue. With OP's situation, water up higher on the wall, it significantly narrows the "cone" of potential sources, but I'd wager it will take a lot of strategy based testing and diagnosing to find it.
I found a leak last January. Water was coming out of electrical outlets and from around a window. The intrusion point was not obvious, so I had a pressurized leak test done. It turns out that the water was getting in behind the hinge on the rock guard for the front window. This was not anywhere near where the water was showing up on the inside.

The pressurized leak test is the best, quickest, and most thorough way to find these pesky holes.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote