Old 04-28-2004, 01:03 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Tim,
Your 71 bellypan overlaps the sides. My 73 does the same. Yes it is backwards in my opinion as all water running down the sides of the trailer has an opportunity to go into the belly pan. My trailer didn't have any indication of ever being sealed to the sides. I vulkemed between the sides and belly pan, reriveted the trim strip back on and parbonded the top of the trim strip to help things. You will still have water get into the pan going down the road as it can enter in the step well, the edges by the axle plates, and water can still get in through the rear trunk. I alleviate this by parking my trailer with a excessive nose high attitude to facilitate water drainage out the back.

Hope this helps.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:21 PM   #22
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thanks Tripp.

That's what I thought. It is dumb, maybe there is some reason we don't know about. But it should overlap all the way down just like the siding does.

I don't really want to remove my while trim, so I think I will just vulkemize the top side of the trim....
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #23
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Thanks Tripp.

That's what I thought. It is dumb, maybe there is some reason we don't know about. But it should overlap all the way down just like the siding does.

I don't really want to remove my while trim, so I think I will just vulkemize the top side of the trim....

well...think about how they build and assemble these things. the bodies are built seperate from the frames....bodies then mounted to frame. then they cover the exposed frame with the banana wrap. so it sort of has to overlap the side panels. you couldn't really tuck it under the side panels very easily...not without removing a whole bunch of bucked rivets, I would think.

it was said by a well-known airstream expert in another thread a while back that water getting in there shouldn't harm anything....but it was harming things on my trailer. or at least I think it was. My carefree (ha! that's a laugh!) awning is mounted to a bracket right on that lower trim piece...over time, it started to pull away from the body there, and sort of bent open both the trim and the banana wrap. water was just pouring in there...well, you'd think it would just trickle down to the belly pan and drain out...but it was also saturating the plywood floor in the process. When I removed this bracket entirely to re-attach it with a new, non-rusted lag screw, I could stick my finger in the gap there and feel the soaked plywood. so when I put it all back together with a weather-proof fastener (holy crap? they actually make things out of stainless steel, do they??? ), I par-bonded the trim strip for good measure.

now, I suppose that its entirely possible that the wet plywood was coming from a leak that just coincidentally deposited the water right above this awning bracket...there is a window right above this spot. but I don't know...kind of skeptical.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote