Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Vista window glass to window frame sealing.

Hi folks, I’m sure been asked many times before, so apologies. I removed the plastic inner window pane because of the clouding and debris etc but in doing so it’s created a leak in two out of the three windows. One is rather bad. Both inner and outer vista windows sit in their own channel so not sure why this happened but now I need to try sealing more from the outside. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5542.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	323951Any thoughts on best sealant to use would be most appreciated. Thanks
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
Hi folks, I’m sure been asked many times before, so apologies. I removed the plastic inner window pane because of the clouding and debris etc but in doing so it’s created a leak in two out of the three windows. One is rather bad. Both inner and outer vista windows sit in their own channel so not sure why this happened but now I need to try sealing more from the outside. Attachment 323951Any thoughts on best sealant to use would be most appreciated. Thanks
Mine are held in place and sealed watertight with sikaflex 221. I took both panes out entirely to clean them and glued the outer pane back up with sikaflex. Still haven't reinstalled the inner pane yet, but it's been watertight for a couple years this way.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Mine are held in place and sealed watertight with sikaflex 221. I took both panes out entirely to clean them and glued the outer pane back up with sikaflex. Still haven't reinstalled the inner pane yet, but it's been watertight for a couple years this way.
Thanks, my inner pane was plastic and i had to break to remove, so they are history. Being that inner pane sat in own channel was surprised that the outer glass seal was weakened and started to leak
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Unless the gap is huge, I would use Captain Tolleys.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote