Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Vent gasket questions

Finally removed vent cover. Think InlandAndy may be correct about replacing gasket. Used hairdryer (heat gun being purchased today) to remove alot of the old vulkem. There were still patches of orange residue. Tried wire brush on dremel. Not happy with scratches. Tried brake cleaner and did not effect them. MEK with scrub pad removed almost all of it.
Questions:
1) Is the area now clean enough to install new gasket?
2) Do I put a bead of vulkem down first before I place screen over pipe and then slide gasket over screen and into the bead of vulkem?
3) Once gasket is in place do I use vulkem to seal gasket to vent pipe?
4) Do I put a bead of vulkem on roof before I replace the vent cover or replace vent cover and then seal around the base?
5) Do I put a dab of vulkem in each screw hole before replacing the screws?
Thanks. Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old vent gasket.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	569.7 KB
ID:	98648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent cleaned up.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	462.6 KB
ID:	98649  

Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Just replaced that on mine a few years ago. I vulkumed everything when I put it back together. It's up there and out of sight and I didn't want it to leak again.