Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
trouble with adhesive - window gaskets

Quite a LONG time ago I ordered new "D" profile window weatherstripping and 3M Super Weatherstrip & Gasket Adhesive. Today I finally embarked on the job....

I removed all old residue and cleaned the window frame. Then I retrieved the new D weatherstripping. I removed the tape from the weatherstripping to expose the pre-glued side and applied the 3M Adhesive right on top. Then I applied the 3M Adhesive to the window aluminum frame. Waited a minute for it to get tacky and then stuck the weatherstripping to the frame. Pressed down and waited 45 minutes. Sprayed the stripping with Silicone and set out to reset the window. SURPRISE The weatherstripping peeled right off. Hummmm. I tried a test piece on a spare piece of aluminum and the same thing happens. The 3M Adhesive will not hold to the weatherstripping. It seems like the glue that was pre-applied is preventing adhesion.

Any ideas? I wonder if there's any chance something has gone *off* with the adhesive (either 3M or the preapplied portion) due to changes in temperatures (from about freezing to 100F). 3M says to store below 120F.

Thanks for any help - Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Hmmm...why did you add adhesive to the weatherstripping if it already had adhesive on it? I used the D profile weatherstripping by cleaning the metal window frame after scraping the old gasket off, then just peeling the backing off the weatherstripping and sticking it on. It's held on very well. Can you retry with a clean surface and some fresh gasket?
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Hmmm...why did you add adhesive to the weatherstripping if it already had adhesive on it? I used the D profile weatherstripping by cleaning the metal window frame after scraping the old gasket off, then just peeling the backing off the weatherstripping and sticking it on. It's held on very well. Can you retry with a clean surface and some fresh gasket?
I put it on as recommended by Inland RV. Almost every post from Andy states that the 3M Adhesive ensures a long lasting seal. Aside of that, there are places where the protective backing has pulled off the weatherstripping, revealing the pre-applied adhesive and allowing some debris to stick. Ahhhhhh

I can certainly retry without using the 3M product but I have 3 tubes of it and really hoped for it to hold for another 39 years.

Thanks for the help - Laura
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You can use adhesive on the D gasket even though it already has that tape on it.

Apply a thin layer to both surfaces. Let it set until the glaze is off the adhesive (adhesive will look dull not shiny).

Reapply a thin layer to the gasket OR window frame, I did the gasket, to reactivate the adhesive. Apply the gasket - close the window on it and come back the next day with your silicone. It should tell you the gluing process on the tube.

Make sure the cut in the gasket is at the bottom of the window....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
You can use adhesive on the D gasket even though it already has that tape on it.

Apply a thin layer to both surfaces. Let it set until the glaze is off the adhesive (adhesive will look dull not shiny).

Reapply a thin layer to the gasket OR window frame, I did the gasket, to reactivate the adhesive. Apply the gasket - close the window on it and come back the next day with your silicone. It should tell you the gluing process on the tube.
So, it looks like the only thing I did differently is not *reactivating* the adhesive. Oh, and applying the silicone on the same day. I sure hope that either age or temperature changes hasn't affected my 3M adhesive, making it unusable. It was really easy to remove the 3M from the gasket and not much more difficult to remove from the window frame. And where I wiped the 3M off the gasket, you can now see a thin plastic barrier.

Laura