Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 245
Images: 3
Tracking Rear Leak

I found a pretty significant leak - likely worsened by the carpet and pad that are there - in the rear compartment. I know the rear bumper is notorious for causing leak problems, but Iím not sure thatís my problem. The bumper does slope towards the trailer, but seems to curve down where it meets the body, so I think the water at least drains away and not into the trailer. Curious if anyone with this type of bumper and rear compartment has found the same issue and what they did?? Iím a 2001 Excella. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2902.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	314267Thanks!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
gator.bigfoot's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I found a pretty significant leak - likely worsened by the carpet and pad that are there - in the rear compartment. I know the rear bumper is notorious for causing leak problems, but Iím not sure thatís my problem. The bumper does slope towards the trailer, but seems to curve down where it meets the body, so I think the water at least drains away and not into the trailer. Curious if anyone with this type of bumper and rear compartment has found the same issue and what they did?? Iím a 2001 Excella. Attachment 314267Thanks!
I've got the same issue. Not sure where it is coming in.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
gator.bigfoot's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 764
I found the leak. Coming in from bottom corner of hatch door frame where the hinge is under the frame. Looks like it was never sealed. I opened up the inside by drilling out the rivets and removing the insulation under the hatch door. Now I just have to get the sealant and put everything back.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180627_210638.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	315330Click image for larger version

Name:	20180627_210722.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	315331

Sent from my SM-N950W using Airstream Forums mobile app
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar

 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,356
Good news, your bumper is not the type that causes the through wall leak problem, if the cover is not cracked. The fiberglass bumper cover turns upward at the wall. (same as my 99 Excella)
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado LTZ 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 245
Images: 3
Tracking Rear Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Good news, your bumper is not the type that causes the through wall leak problem, if the cover is not cracked. The fiberglass bumper cover turns upward at the wall. (same as my 99 Excella)


A W - do you have any pics or know where I can find a diagram or something to show how the bumper turns upward? I hate to remove the rub rail just to see it.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,278
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
A W - do you have any pics or know where I can find a diagram or something to show how the bumper turns upward? I hate to remove the rub rail just to see it.
I've never seen a pic of it, but I saw a classic on the line just as they were about to place the bumper and end wraps on. They were on the floor. All 3 pieces curve up about 1/2", up under the lower extruded molding. The only way water can get past would be the joints between the center fiberglass piece and each end wrap

I've been battling leaks which appear at the compartment door corners fo a long time. I am right now reworking the window. Found some moisture behind the license plate pocket, indicating origin is up north. I removed the awning, in part to replace the fabric awning key. There were some suspect areas at the window top which could only be seen with the awning removed. I am too experienced to claim victory until some time and rain passes.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar

 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
A W - do you have any pics or know where I can find a diagram or something to show how the bumper turns upward? I hate to remove the rub rail just to see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I've never seen a pic of it, but I saw a classic on the line just as they were about to place the bumper and end wraps on. They were on the floor. All 3 pieces curve up about 1/2", up under the lower extruded molding. The only way water can get past would be the joints between the center fiberglass piece and each end wrap

I've been battling leaks which appear at the compartment door corners fo a long time. I am right now reworking the window. Found some moisture behind the license plate pocket, indicating origin is up north. I removed the awning, in part to replace the fabric awning key. There were some suspect areas at the window top which could only be seen with the awning removed. I am too experienced to claim victory until some time and rain passes.
this is the center piece, not a very good photo
https://airstreamsupply.com/BUMPER-REAR-CENTER-203142
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado LTZ 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 model year quality tracking..... Silvertwinkie Airstream Trailer Forums 295 10-01-2007 10:51 AM
Tracking down a leak.....window?? Captmorg Windows & Screens 8 10-22-2004 11:13 AM
Patent Number tracking HELP roadeo Off Topic Forum 2 08-09-2004 01:39 PM
Bathroom Door Tracking Out Of Alignment montanaandy Doors & Locks 2 07-12-2003 02:47 PM
Tracking history Diana Langley Off Topic Forum 3 06-23-2003 06:55 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.