Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
Skylight area leak....

We had a partial roof reseal on our 2015 FC this summer as part of the standard annual maintenance and as fate will have it we now we have a rain water leak coming from the skylight area. In checking the partial reseal I see they have applied sealant to the Fantastic fans but not the skylight. Removing the inside skylight trim I get quite a bit of extra water coming through that was trapped in the trim channel. A week ago I made a repair and got on the roof and applied copious sealant and tape and reworked all the skylight edges and ran sealant tape from the side of the skylight down to the roof surface and thought that I did quite a pretty good repair job.... until this evening. After a day of light rain, water appears in the same location, kitchen side of the skylight and also comes out of the seam halfway between the skylight and the kitchen cabinet. Since we have the AS model with the air conditioning double roof duct I'm beginning to suspect that the water is entering the roof at another location and running inside the roof till it finds a way out via our skylight trim. The air conditioning unit is my next suspected entry point but I wanted to check in with AirForums and see if this has been a problem for anyone else? Being a former boat owner I know with water leaks there are plenty of surprises!

2015 25’ Flying Cloud
2015 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
WBCCI # 2381
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivaHaven View Post
We had a partial roof reseal on our 2015 FC this summer as part of the standard annual maintenance and as fate will have it we now we have a rain water leak coming from the skylight area. In checking the partial reseal I see they have applied sealant to the Fantastic fans but not the skylight. Removing the inside skylight trim I get quite a bit of extra water coming through that was trapped in the trim channel. A week ago I made a repair and got on the roof and applied copious sealant and tape and reworked all the skylight edges and ran sealant tape from the side of the skylight down to the roof surface and thought that I did quite a pretty good repair job.... until this evening. After a day of light rain, water appears in the same location, kitchen side of the skylight and also comes out of the seam halfway between the skylight and the kitchen cabinet. Since we have the AS model with the air conditioning double roof duct I'm beginning to suspect that the water is entering the roof at another location and running inside the roof till it finds a way out via our skylight trim. The air conditioning unit is my next suspected entry point but I wanted to check in with AirForums and see if this has been a problem for anyone else? Being a former boat owner I know with water leaks there are plenty of surprises!
Hi RivaHaven,

The original skylights are prone to leaking usually because the base was cracked by the over tightening of the attachment screws. The whole mess is covered at the factory with a thick slab of Dicor but over time the cracks radiate from the attach point and in comes the water. I advise you to pick out the Maxim skylights of your choice and replace the originals. We are very happy we did. No leaks and less heat in the coach from the sun. Not sure why AS doesn't bite the bullet and just install Maxims at the factory. Maybe some day....

Check out these threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f181...ts-104013.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...hts-53517.html

And the manufacturers website:
http://maximskylights.com/products/airstream-skylights/

Enjoy the sun and stars without getting wet!

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
Airstream skylight leaks

Thank you Brad.... that was very helpful and really appreciated following up on the links. Maxim is on my shopping list once I get back to home base Virginia - I am now in Alaska. Inspected the entire skylight and my repairs from last week earlier this morning and could not find any entry points for the rain whatsoever. Covered the skylight with a tarp and after several hours of moderate rain, no water came through. I'm trying to figure out that mystery!

2015 25’ Flying Cloud
2015 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
WBCCI # 2381
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivaHaven View Post
Thank you Brad.... that was very helpful and really appreciated following up on the links. Maxim is on my shopping list once I get back to home base Virginia - I am now in Alaska. Inspected the entire skylight and my repairs from last week earlier this morning and could not find any entry points for the rain whatsoever. Covered the skylight with a tarp and after several hours of moderate rain, no water came through. I'm trying to figure out that mystery!
Yeah the radiating cracks from the edge can be tiny but permiable. When you do replace the skylights, leave a few days in the plan to leave the hole open and gap exposed with sun on the roof or with a dehumidifier and fans running in the coach to dry out the insulation sandwich in the ceiling. Happy trails.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote