Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Chicagoland , Illinois
Skins Off. Seal from the Inside?

I realize there are a bazillion sealing threads...

Skins are off. This summer's rains have revealed only a few seams/areas that need attention.

I have that black sprayed gunk that someone said was tar. So I plan to strip it in the problem areas and put something else in its place. There are also several places where Airstream just decided not to spray --like under the windows-- that will receive some goo of their own.

But the rest of the interior is pretty dry.

I'm in the if-it's-not-broke-don't-fix-it camp. There's enough to do on this trailer without adding another project (of stripping all the tar and re-sealing all seams).

And yet, the walls are right there, easily accessed...

From my reading, it seems like most sealants need careful preparation for long-term adhesion and some of them are not recommended for enclosed indoor spaces. Even the prep solvents like acetone or brake cleaner are supposed to be used in well ventilated areas.

The quandary is: Should I do something to the remaining seams? Is there anything out there that would stick over the tar gunk that is currently on the interior walls?

Which of the many sealants out there (Lexel, Parabond, Tempro 635, Sikaflex 221, Gutterseal, Eternabond, Vulcum (did I miss any ?)) can actually be applied inside?

Which will stick against gravity on less-than-ideally prepared surfaces?
Vernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I guess there are more suggestions than Airstreams. I just finished the interior walls of a 63 Bambi for a friend. To prepare the interior seams of the exterior skin I placed a 4”- 40 grit wheel on a side grinder and bumped areas of the seams that looked rough or flaking. The owner then took Flex Seal and painted all the seams. It was messy, for him. Anyway, I think it did a good job. He’ll then seal the exterior, after polishing, with Captain Tolley and silver Parbond. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Waynesville , Georgia
Lizard Skin

We did the Full Monty on our ‘63 Overlander and after all the interior skins, wiring and insulation was removed, a friend that does car resto-mods suggested we apply Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation on the bare interior walls.

I used a metal brush on all seams that had the black stuff on them. I used Mean Green and cleaned the interior followed by Trempro on every single rivet that came through the exterior and also on all seams.

Then we sprayed 3 coats of white Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation and when it was dry, you could easily hold your hand on the walls while the sun beat down on the exterior!

Pics below and they are sideways from iPhone (sorry).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0AE96B9C-9362-4D81-BD53-C0992CF5D0AB.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	422131   Click image for larger version

Name:	73272420-EC83-4C2A-A959-D5DB5CB84D12.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	422132  

ChristyB56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Flushing , Michigan
On the renovation of my ‘76 Trade Wind, here is what I did. With all interior skins off and after replacing any needed rivets, I used Vulkem/Trempro (I do not recall the specific numbered tube type) to cover every bare rivet and seam, although many seams still had the original sealing material, some version of Vulkem, I expect, as it had never totally hardened even after 40+ years. My theory was that IF there were any voids or holes on the exterior, my covering of the inside rivets and seams would prevent water intrusion. I did let it go thru much rain and snow to test it and never saw any water get inside. Once I felt confident. I then placed new insulation and reinstalled the interior skins. This worked for me.
steve46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #5

1973 23' Safari
Battleground , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyB56 View Post
We did the Full Monty on our ‘63 Overlander and after all the interior skins, wiring and insulation was removed, a friend that does car resto-mods suggested we apply Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation on the bare interior walls.

I used a metal brush on all seams that had the black stuff on them. I used Mean Green and cleaned the interior followed by Trempro on every single rivet that came through the exterior and also on all seams.

Then we sprayed 3 coats of white Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation and when it was dry, you could easily hold your hand on the walls while the sun beat down on the exterior!

Pics below and they are sideways from iPhone (sorry).
We are planning on doing the same with our 1973 23' Land Yacht. How big is your Airstream? And do you have any tips for someone about to take on this project?
Bullzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1969 27' Overlander
1969 27' Overlander
Walnut Creek , California
I wire brush the inside and apply two coats of Vulkem 801 Brushable sealant. That works the best. A one gallon can costs about $125.00 and one gallon is plenty.
Jcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Waynesville , Georgia
Our 1963 Overlander is 26’. Cardboard was duct taped to the windows and vents, heavy Kraft paper on the subfloor. We made a door from plastic sheeting for easy access and to keep bugs out. Wore a Respirator and cheapie hooded white zip-up coveralls.

The product was great! You give the manufacturer the size of your project and they provide the quantity. They send extra sprayer cans which is very useful . Spray it like you would do a car, about 12” from the surface. We sprayed the whole interior back to front and by the time we were finished it was time to do another coat starting again at the back. I believe we ended up with a total of 3 coats or so. We used all of the Lizard Skin regardless. One of us sprayed and the other would have a spare sprayer can filled and ready to go when needed.

Here in southeast Georgia the humidity and heat has been rough. We camped for a few days in high 90 temps and the AC kept it at 73, interior walls and skins were 100% dry to the touch and cool. We couldn’t be happier with this product.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Chicagoland , Illinois
Brushable sealant sounds good to me. But when I search for Vulkem 801 Brushable sealant, I get specs but no availability.
Where did you purchase it?
Vernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1969 27' Overlander
1969 27' Overlander
Walnut Creek , California
Vulkem 801 source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernation View Post
Brushable sealant sounds good to me. But when I search for Vulkem 801 Brushable sealant, I get specs but no availability.
Where did you purchase it?
I buy mine at Slakey Brothers which is an HVAC supply house but, I see online lots of suppliers. I would find a local source if you can. It's low VOC so it can ship anywhere. I got to warn you. The stuff once opened will set up inside the can. When I get a gallon I immediately break it up into pint jars filled completely with tight lids. This makes it stay fresh for years. Then you work out of a jar and use it up. https://www.sunshinesupply.com/vu801_1g
Jcondon is offline   Reply With Quote