Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
Silicone use

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageTrailerSupply
Despite common mythology, silicone sealants are safe for aluminum and do have an important (but narrow) place in vintage trailer restoration. While we recommend using only polyurethanes (like TremPro 635 and 636) for most applications, silicone works better in a few applications. Here are a few examples:

1. Use as a plastic to metal adhesive (like applying the finish bead to Fan-Tastic vents and fans).
2. Use as a glass to metal adhesive (like bedding 1966 and 1967 Airstream Corning glass).
3. Use as a weatherstrip adhesive for silicone rubber weatherstrips and gaskets.
4. Use as a caulk when doing plumbing with kitchen and bath fixtures.

It is difficult to find silicone RTV in black and aluminum colors. To help with vintage trailer restoration, we sell quality TremPro 644 silicone RTV in black and aluminum colors, only.

TremPro 644 RTV is a one-part, acetoxy silicone sealant that cures to a flexible rubber when exposed to moisture present in the air. It has a vinegar odor when first applied. TremPro 644 RTV is specially designed for sealant joints between most non-porous materials such as glass, aluminum, metal and metal alloys.
Reference, see: silicone sealant - Forest River Forums
Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I just tried to seal my unit up today

I have silka flex 1a gray,silka 251 in whilte,acrylic r,parabond clear,GE silicone 2 in black. I am trying to find that darn leak. Today I parabond rear tail lights chrome meets alum housing. Then where LED lights are located I got pissed today and GE silicone them. Wow is it easy to work with compared with others, butter smooth and turned out really nice you can not even tell looks like plastic. Still not sure how leds got water in them on lower right hand side. If silicone is ok for aluminum that would be great!
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
All I've read (mostly on this board) is that sillycone is a no-no for AS's. I found it interesting that there may be limited uses of it for our clan.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
It took me ongoing 2 years to remove the excessive silicone a PO gooped on our Trade Wind. Good news is almost no leaks. Bad news it looked terrible, turned black with dirt and did 'stain' the aluminum.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDad View Post
All I've read (mostly on this board) is that sillycone is a no-no for AS's. I found it interesting that there may be limited uses of it for our clan.
But those threads don't poo-poo Silicone II. It works (and isn't harmful) on our trailers, contrary to other comments.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Seems like more you spend better product

I have used cheap walmart 100 percent silicone with ammona smell and it is different than GE 2 I just used. Some said there's would not cure well mine did just fine even in 30 degree weather. Kind of wished I used more on my trailer. Above my window guard I got real messy with arcrilc r, that stuff is real hard and time consuming.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote