Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Sikaflex primer 429 before caulking???

Anyone use this? Suppose to dry in a few minutes and then use Sikaflex caulk for roof. I am going to use Sikaflex 1a but was trying to decide how best to prep before caulking for a good bond.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Jonathan
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I seem to recall lewster mentioning the sikaflex primer in another post. But I just use carburetor cleaner to prep the surface and clean off old polyurethane. Works great.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks Greatley.

So when you use the carburetor cleaner, is that just something that preps the surface of the old remaining caulk or does it actually dissolve and remove the old caulk?

If it is just a prep, how long does it take to dry before you can apply the Sikaflex caulk. The guy at the store that was trying to sell me the 429 said that it takes that stuff to dry about ten minutes.

The reason I ask is my trailer is about 45 minutes away from me and I'd like to do everything on the same visit.

Advice?

JL
Old 07-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Both. Use lots of carb cleaner and scrubbing with a rag and a 3m wheel to get old caulk off. Give it a good spray and a wipe clean to prep the surface. Dries within a few seconds. Doesn't contain alcohol so it won't interfere with polyurethane curing.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote