Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
sealing up rear light cluster

hey all, I'm sure this is super easy, but looking for advice on best way to seal up the taillights? I think water maybe penetrating in the rear still and I want to eliminate this possible cause.
my trailer is a '72 Landyacht .. new gaskets assuming, what material is best ? also can water get in around the lenses ?

thanks in advance .. nick
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
tail lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
hey all, I'm sure this is super easy, but looking for advice on best way to seal up the taillights? I think water maybe penetrating in the rear still and I want to eliminate this possible cause.
my trailer is a '72 Landyacht .. new gaskets assuming, what material is best ? also can water get in around the lenses ?

thanks in advance .. nick
Assuming your cans are is good shape the seals that come with the lens should be fine. If your cans have holes and are rusted but the lights work fine I would get a VERY THIN bead of clear silicon sealer and put it on the back of the lens before you screw it down. Key word Very Thin so when you need to get back in there you can with very little trouble.

Replacing the cans is a very big job if done right. taking the casting off that holds the cans from the outside invites bigger leak potential that the lights pose.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
Assuming your cans are is good shape the seals that come with the lens should be fine. If your cans have holes and are rusted but the lights work fine I would get a VERY THIN bead of clear silicon sealer and put it on the back of the lens before you screw it down. Key word Very Thin so when you need to get back in there you can with very little trouble.

Replacing the cans is a very big job if done right. taking the casting off that holds the cans from the outside invites bigger leak potential that the lights pose.
Good advice, many thanks. I've replaced some for the lenses and the gaskets are shot. Not much left after 40yrs. maybe cutting some new gaskets would be better or like the idea of running a very thin line of silicon ...
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote