Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Sealing the Vista View Windows

Hi All, Quick question. What is the best sealer to use to try to reseal my fixed curved windows on the front of the Argosy? The Glass leaks when it rains because the original gasket material has shrunk in certain spots. It's not the metal frame leaking, just the glass. Any Ideas? Thanks.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel
Hi All, Quick question. What is the best sealer to use to try to reseal my fixed curved windows on the front of the Argosy? The Glass leaks when it rains because the original gasket material has shrunk in certain spots. It's not the metal frame leaking, just the glass. Any Ideas? Thanks.
Vulkem sealer, only.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
I used a razor knife to cut back the old gasket then used the blue painters tape to keep it neat and put in a pretty heavy bead of Vulkem. So far it has been holding up pretty well. Someone on here took the windows apart and replaced the seals...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
Andy, The majority of the gasket is still in place. i was concerned that vulkem would be too thick to flow into the low spots. What do you think? George.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, The majority of the gasket is still in place. i was concerned that vulkem would be too thick to flow into the low spots. What do you think? George.
Clean and/or cut away the old Vulkem.

Clean the glass at the metal molding. Clean the metal molding at the sheet metal junction.

Install a bead of Vulkem sealer into those two areas.

If you do it correctly, you will never have a leak from those areas again.

Clean up the excess Vulkem with mineral spirits or kerosene.

Andy
Old 06-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
While your asking Andy a question - if you don't mind.

Andy - what about Parbond - just bought 6 tubes from you to seal the outer metal frame edges of all windows. Would that not work as an edge seal on the glass/frame also.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
While your asking Andy a question - if you don't mind.

Andy - what about Parbond - just bought 6 tubes from you to seal the outer metal frame edges of all windows. Would that not work as an edge seal on the glass/frame also.
Generally speaking, Par Bond is used for small seams and Vulkem is used for large seams.

Sealing the glass to metal flanges in the vista view and stack windows, should only be done with Vulkem.

Andy
Old 06-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
Andy, the gap I refer to is between the actual glass and the metal frame, actually the channel that the glass gasket sits in. It can't be more than an 1/8th inch at most, and the original glass gasket fills the channel in 90% of the circumference of the glass. Won't Vulkem be too thick?, or should I apply Vulkem around the window and over the existing glass gasket? Thanks George.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, the gap I refer to is between the actual glass and the metal frame, actually the channel that the glass gasket sits in. It can't be more than an 1/8th inch at most, and the original glass gasket fills the channel in 90% of the circumference of the glass. Won't Vulkem be too thick?, or should I apply Vulkem around the window and over the existing glass gasket? Thanks George.
The glass to metal junction, "is exactly" where you install the vulkem, "only."

In doing so, if done properly, you will never have another water leak from that source.

Andy
Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
Thanks Andy. George
Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
Say Andy, Just got to thinking, before I call you and order up some Vulkem, for the benefit of the other forum members, What is the proper way of sealing the window to the frame? What is the best way to get the Vulkem easthetically pleasing? Obviously you don't want a big globby bead of the stuff around the front windows, but Vulkem is kind of hard to spread. Most of the existing gasketing material is still flush to the frame, it's only depressed in certain spots. (where it leaks). So the Vulkem is going to be pretty thin most of the way around. Sorry for the winded question. Thanks. George
Old 06-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Say Andy, Just got to thinking, before I call you and order up some Vulkem, for the benefit of the other forum members, What is the proper way of sealing the window to the frame? What is the best way to get the Vulkem easthetically pleasing? Obviously you don't want a big globby bead of the stuff around the front windows, but Vulkem is kind of hard to spread. Most of the existing gasketing material is still flush to the frame, it's only depressed in certain spots. (where it leaks). So the Vulkem is going to be pretty thin most of the way around. Sorry for the winded question. Thanks. George
George.

Obtain some "good" masking tape, about 1/2 wide.

Cut out as much of the old Vulkem that may be on the edge of the glass at the molding.

Clean that junction so that it is chemically clean.

Install the masking take on top of the molding next to the glass, but not on the inside edge.

Install masking tape about 1/4 inch away from the molding on the glass.

Cut the tip of the Vulkem cartridge so that you get about 1/4" bead.

Apply the Vulkem between the two strips of masking tape.

You can smooth out the vulkem and remove the excess as needed. You can further smooth out the Vulkem with gasolene, kerosene, mineral spirirts, or the like.

When done smoothing out the Vulkem, simply remove the two pieces of masking tape.

Makes for a nice looking professional job, every time.

If your hands shake a little bit, have a beer before you start.

If not, then have 2 beers when your done.

The best time of the day to do this little operation, is when the sun is out, "AND" the glass and molding have considerably warmed up. Makes the Vulkem flow very nicely.

Andy
Old 07-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #13

1973 27' Overlander
rolla , Missouri
Sealing that overhead vista window

Is vulkem stiff enough and sticky enough to hold my vista glass against the frame for the long haul? I was planning on leaving the plexiglass interior pane out when I reassemble. Would you recommend a backer rod between the glass and the aluminum retainer to hold the glass?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000035.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	83833  
busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Is vulkem stiff enough and sticky enough to hold my vista glass against the frame for the long haul? I was planning on leaving the plexiglass interior pane out when I reassemble. Would you recommend a backer rod between the glass and the aluminum retainer to hold the glass?
Vulkem is sticky enough, but you cannot use it to fill the gap, since it takes several days to really cure out.

You can perhaps use some solid rigid rubber material that has very little give, to hold the glass in place, then seal it with the Vulkem.

Andy
Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
I agree with Andy, Vulkem is not an adhesive. If the indow was on a bench unl the vulkem was totally cured maybe, but otherwise you will need some type of actual gasket to hold the window. G
Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1969 27' Overlander
Wichita , Kansas
Vesta View Windows

Airdaddy Here. Sorry for doubling up on a request. However is there a drawing of the Windows or an exploded view? I have a service manual that arrived today. Cannot tell how they are removed and can they be repaired? "Vesta Windows that is" I have two that are milky and I think they have been poorly repaired in times past

Danny
Airdaddy
Wichita, Kansas
Airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #17

1973 27' Overlander
rolla , Missouri
Vista Window repair

Hey Airdaddy

I have a 73 overlander 27'. The vista windows on mine are dual pane with glass on the exterior and plexiglass on the interior. My vista windows are held in by a two piece "retainer". Attached (I think) is a photo. At least i attempted to attach it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000035.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	84457  
busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
sauk rapids , Minnesota
Does anyone have any extra aluminum trim pieces (shown above in photo) for these Vista View windows? I need a few sets to reseal my windows. Thanks
adamrudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
1973 27' Overlander
oakhurst , California
Has any one attempted to put the horse shoe shaped aluminum trim piece back after removing it to get the plexi out? I will be needing one new piece for my 73 overlander.
bh53olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
sauk rapids , Minnesota
Yes, I have successfully installed those horseshoe shaped trim pieces back into the windows after taking out the plexiglass. I didn't put the plexiglass back in though. I am still looking for 2 trim pieces so I can complete my last Vista window.
adamrudolph is offline   Reply With Quote