Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Sealing exterior skins, inside?

What sealant is used for sealing the exterior skins from the inside?

I have removed the interiors skins to install new electrical wiring, insulation etc...While I have the interior skins removed, I would like to lap seam seal the exterior skins from the inside surface. Someone mentioned a brush on RV sealer, but didn't know the name of the product purchased at the big box stores. ?? Some have mentioned a PL gutter seal in a caulking gun (polyurethane).

Not finding an immediate answer in the other threads, what products are normally used?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We used Vulkem...inside & out.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Do you apply the vulkem to just the seams, or do you slather it over the rivet ends as well? My project would be the entire trailer, not just a section repair.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I covered both seams and rivets with Sika Flex (much like Vulkem ), why not? However, if you have used Olympic rivets, absolutely cover the rivet also, they will leak.
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Silver streak

Vintage Kin Owner
Vancouver , Washington
Leakseal

I live in the northwest so I have had a lot of rain to test the trailer for leaks. I found six small leaks all at a seam or rivet. One on each end cap.

At first I used Vulkem and spread it over the seams. Let it dry and it did not stop the leak and didn't seem to like being spread over the old seam sealer the factory used in 65. It was very easy to peel off. I had read about one of the builders here using the LeakSeal by rust-oleum. This is their version of the stuff you see on TV. You know the screen door boat???
I decided to try it out.
I am very impressed. It sticks like glue and all of my leaks are gone. Its easier to apply than Vulkem. Only bad part is it stinks pretty bad so apply it and let the trailer air out overnight.
Of course I do not know how well it hold up over time? Its flexible so I don't think it should be an issue
Transoceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
I have always felt that the primary sealing needs to be exterior. find and fix the leaking seams and rivets first, then seal the interior as insurance.
I finished my repairs to the upper shell before winter set in and haven't seen a sign of leaking yet (knock on wood). With all that being said I already have 6 cans of the rustoleum product to apply as secondary sealing as soon as it gets warm enough. Cant be too careful
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Sealing exterior

RumRunner is it best to seal the exterior before or after polishing the Airstream and how is the best way to seal the seams and rivets, wipe it on then clean the excess. I have learned quite a bit from all of the post since starting my endeavor.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transoceanic View Post

At first I used Vulkem and spread it over the seams. Let it dry and it did not stop the leak and didn't seem to like being spread over the old seam sealer the factory used in 65. It was very easy to peel off. I had read about one of the builders here using the LeakSeal by rust-oleum. This is their version of the stuff you see on TV. You know the screen door boat???

How many cans did it take you to seal the interior?
CorySessums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
PopHetzler

2003 34' Classic S/O
Troy , Ohio
I have leaks in my new "03". Found one of them but the rest aren't evident. Water on the floor on either side of the queen bed in the back bedroom of a 34 Classic. How did you track down your leaks? I don't have a trail coming down from the windows but the floor seam has water encroaching on both sides. Pulled up all the carpets today and it was a mess. The battery box is leaking, water must be running along the kitchen counter and dumping off the end by the door, just fixed the skylight and their are leaks around the bedroom floor. There's a moderate amount of mildew in spots on the plywood. Any ideas on cleaning and treating the bare wood floor before I let the carpet guys finish?
Emh142 is offline   Reply With Quote