Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
Qustion all---- how does one get the foging out of the windows that are in between the glass ?
Thanks All
Good question. It's etched in the glass. I tried several types of polishers, including a new one that professional window washers use to remove similar problems, and it didn't work.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Window glass polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Good question. It's etched in the glass. I tried several types of polishers, including a new one that professional window washers use to remove similar problems, and it didn't work.
Would you mind sharing the name of that glass polish that the pro window washers use?
thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
Qustion all---- how does one get the foging out of the windows that are in between the glass ?
Thanks All
To remove fogging you have to remove the window and frame from the TT. Once removed the aluminum frame must be separated into two halves that are held together with four interior steel splines and in my case there were rusted screws going through the aluminum frame into the steel splines. I took a 4" grinder and slotted the frame where the screws were parallel to the frame and then sled the frame apart.

Once the glass is out I took a box cutter and cut the swizzle spacer out from between the glass and then cleaned the sealant with a razor blade or box cutter blade.

I then took both pieces of glass to a Temper glass and insulated glass shop and for $15.00 The made it back into a insulated unit. Next I discarded the old gasket and inserted glass setting blocks around the glass frame using a abundance of a high quality professional grade of Polyurethane.

I then reinstalled the frame back into the TT by putting a glass glazing tape 1/16x1/2" onto the TT skin and then riveted it back into place. I caulked the frame to skin joint to complete the job.

I have some photos if you decide to repair the insulated unit.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
CRLaurence.com has a cerium oxide that is made to polish scratches out of glass.
They are a wholesale glazing supply company. If the scratches are deep you won't be able remove that much glass in a timely manor. They also have some diamond grinding compounds but I have never tried to use any of them.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote