Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #81
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
May I beg to differ?????

SikaFlex is not hard to use at all. I go thu 8-10 cases a season, twice a year. There are certain procedures that must be followed for the proper application of ANY sealant.

If you want something to last and be durable, you need something far stronger than waster-based sealant. Vulkem, being a polyurethane like SikaFlex, also requires proper preparation and cleaning techniques.

You will be far better off by practicing with a quality polyurethane sealant before going for the big time than using an inferior product simply because it's 'easier'.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #82
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I agree with Lewster, I only had a hard time because I didn't realize it was a polyurethane and was treating it like a water based caulk you'd apply to a window seal on your home.

It's not really that bad with some practice.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #83
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

3M 5200 quick cure a great bonding & sealant. Used it on the replacement skylight, strong bond but stays pliable.

Regular 5200 for an even stronger bond. I have used it on both the boat & AS, 48hrs to tack, 5-7 days to cure. I can see it working great for panel replacement sealing.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Seabrook , Texas
Awesome info on this thread! Thanks to all the contributors.
In the middle of restoration, will come in VERY handy.
Poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
3M 5200 quick cure a great bonding & sealant. Used it on the replacement skylight, strong bond but stays pliable.

Regular 5200 for an even stronger bond. I have used it on both the boat & AS, 48hrs to tack, 5-7 days to cure. I can see it working great for panel replacement sealing.

Bob

I made the mistake of using Sikkaflex to install a new Maxxim skylight.

It developed a minor leak between the two domed sections and Maxxim kindly provided me with a replacement skylight - but now, I find I cannot get the old one off, it is stuck firmly in place!

Guess I should have used butyl tape or something

Luckily the condensation has evaporated in the hot Arizona sun, and not yet
re-appeared. Looks like the factory deal between the two domed layers failed I can see that the factory sealant between the flanges of the domed layers has bulged out of place.)

I have added caulking to all the areas around the skylight where I think water might be able find its way in between the domes! At least it never did leak into the trailer so it is mainly a cosmetic thing.

I suspect sooner or later it may leak again and although it is only cosmetic I will want to remove the defective skylight and install the new skylight assembly I was given.

At this point, unless anyone has any brainwaves, I think my only solution to remove the old skylight will be to carefully cut the welded aluminum skylight frame into small sections with a grinder and remove it piece by piece.

I may leave the flat horizontal portion of the frame that is stuck down the trailer's skylight curb in place.

I would clean up the cut edges of the aluminum, then just drop the new skylight on top of it - but I won't use Sikkaflex next time!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:09 AM   #86
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I made the mistake of using Sikkaflex to install a new Maxxim skylight.

It developed a minor leak between the two domed sections and Maxxim kindly provided me with a replacement skylight - but now, I find I cannot get the old one off, it is stuck firmly in place!

Guess I should have used butyl tape or something

Luckily the condensation has evaporated in the hot Arizona sun, and not yet
re-appeared. Looks like the factory deal between the two domed layers failed I can see that the factory sealant between the flanges of the domed layers has bulged out of place.)

I have added caulking to all the areas around the skylight where I think water might be able find its way in between the domes! At least it never did leak into the trailer so it is mainly a cosmetic thing.

I suspect sooner or later it may leak again and although it is only cosmetic I will want to remove the defective skylight and install the new skylight assembly I was given.

At this point, unless anyone has any brainwaves, I think my only solution to remove the old skylight will be to carefully cut the welded aluminum skylight frame into small sections with a grinder and remove it piece by piece.

I may leave the flat horizontal portion of the frame that is stuck down the trailer's skylight curb in place.

I would clean up the cut edges of the aluminum, then just drop the new skylight on top of it - but I won't use Sikkaflex next time!

Brian.
Bummer!

Moral: don't use SikaFlex on anything that you might want to remove at a later date........it doesn't come off unless cut, chiseled, scraped or sanded. There is NO SOLVENT once cured.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #87
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Brian,

I have used a length of thin stainless wire to cut thru cured Sika 721 and Loctite PL. If you can get under the edge give it a try.

Worked well on the BT roof vent.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
What would one use on the inside of the exterior skin to seal the seams? Basically replacing the black tar like goo that's on all of the seams and rivets.
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #89
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Brian,

I have used a length of thin stainless wire to cut thru cured Sika 721 and Loctite PL. If you can get under the edge give it a try.

Worked well on the BT roof vent.

Bob
I would think something like a wire saw would work ..... Like what they use to dehorn cows.

Here's just the first link I found, I'm sure there are other options
Dehorning Wire Saw - Disbudding - Kid Raising - Products
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #90
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
What would one use on the inside of the exterior skin to seal the seams? Basically replacing the black tar like goo that's on all of the seams and rivets.
I used Citrastrip to take off all the black glue and then used Trempro 635 to
"paint" all the seams I could reach.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
(added 3M 5200 to roof sealants)

For wheel wells/underbody:

Vulkem 116
Trempro 635 Grey
Sikaflex 221 Black (use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant Grey

Roof:

Sikaflex 221 White (for roof seams, seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Sikaflex 715 (around fans, vents, skylights ... self-levelling)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant White
Dicor self-levelling sealant
EternaBond® AlumiBond (alum. backed sealing tape, 2", 3", 4", and 6" wide)
Lexel™ Clear
3M 5200 (seals and bonds, comes in quick and slow cure varieties)

Windows/Trim/Rubrail/Exterior Lights:

Sikaflex 221 Grey (seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Parbond Grey or Clear (small hand tubes, prep and clean-up use cosmoline remover)
Trempro 635 Grey
Loctite® PL® S40 Polyurethane Window Door and Siding Sealant
Lexel™ Clear

Small seams (between aluminum panels):

Acryl-R (available in cans from Airstream store. Use applicator or disposable syringes to apply)
Aluminum Pigmented Gutterseal

Rivet sealer:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

I read the whole thread and firstly, thank you. This is immensely helpful. I'm new to the Airstream community and hugely impressed with y'all's attention to detail and OCD-like precision and thoughtfulness. Thank y'all!

To that end, I can't seem to decipher that if there's more than one product under each subheading, are they interchangeable? As in: could either one work just as well? Would be nice to make a process for each with some pictures with corresponding numbers so we know what solvents/tools/clean up we need for each and where, exactly, each one is used and why.

I'd be willing to help to that end!

Thanks so much! 😊
belikethefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Mostly related to this thread, because I was getting ready to order some Captain Tolley's.
But I got up on the roof of my 17 year old rig, and with a cotton Q-Tip, deposited a puddle of water on every single rivet. Took me over 1/2 hr, but it was cold out, so the water did not evaporate. Went back and looked at them. Not a single one sucked in the water!

Do you think I have no leaks, or did the cold temperature "tighten" up the rivets?
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #94
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
Mostly related to this thread, because I was getting ready to order some Captain Tolley's.
But I got up on the roof of my 17 year old rig, and with a cotton Q-Tip, deposited a puddle of water on every single rivet. Took me over 1/2 hr, but it was cold out, so the water did not evaporate. Went back and looked at them. Not a single one sucked in the water!

Do you think I have no leaks, or did the cold temperature "tighten" up the rivets?
Siegmann, unless it was at or below the freezing point you could likely consider that you have no leaks on the roof. The consistency is about the same but it looks like skim milk when you put it down. It does dry clear.

When I used the captain tolleys I generally found that if any rivet did drink it up repeatedly, that rivet needed to be replaced.
If you can get your fingernail under the rivet head captain Tolley's will not solve the problem not matter how much you feed it, it just keeps disappearing into the trailer shell. I went over my rivets about four to six times at 20 min intervals on a warm day and if any still wanted a drink at that point I pulled and replaced. I used a fine modeling paintbrush so I was putting down less than your q-tip would each time.
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Thanks. I'll hold off on the Tolley's, and won't bother to check the rivets for another year or so.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
This has to be one of the best threads, considering the issues that have been reported with leaks. Now, since this is my first dance, having just purchased my 03 classic last fall, I want to buy the products recommended for roof and windows etc and do the whole deal from rivets to lights and seams. Is there one good source for buying these items so I can avoid shipping on small orders. When I get the silver baby out of the hangar where it's stored in the next few days, I want to be ready...right down to the moisture meter. I will have to choose the products and order asap. I've spent all winter with you guys and have pent up longing to start. Thanks a bunch folks.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #97
1 Rivet Member

Tin Tin: On your most recent list, you have multiple options per section.

Are they all comparable/interchangeable?
belikethefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
I read and reread this thread a number of times and finally started this weekend on my 95 Excella.

The PO had mostly Parbond along the rub rail and most other places. He did the job without masking, looked pretty bad. The preparation is the most time consuming. I used Sikaflex 221 gray.

What I learned from the first day was to remove the masking quickly, in my case about 10 minutes. Waited longer yesterday and the results were better today.

I still have more work but confidence is high and the project will continue.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
2007 Ram 2500
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Has anyone had any experience removing these sealants? What are the best methods for removing each of them?
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #100
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
Has anyone had any experience removing these sealants? What are the best methods for removing each of them?
DON'T apply SikaFlex 221 to anything that you may eventually want to remove, without a replacement going in it's place. It is extremely tenacious and there is no known solvent.. mechanical removal is the only process that works.......and it ain't easy!!!!!