Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2003, 10:41 PM   #21
APB
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Escondido , California
Alcoa gutter seal

Hello all,
Thought I would share what I have learned in the last few days.

I called Alcoa at the number suggested and after several calls wound up at customer service at 800-962-6973. There I got the mumber of a distributor in CA who stocked the stuff.

He turned out to be a wholesaler who would send me a case for about $100 (24 tubes). He didn't mention anything about shipping problems.

I then found another supplier in Alameda CA, Rocky Mountain Wholesase, 800-339-9262 where Kealynn indicated she could ship me several tubes. Haven't heard anything back so I assume it's on the way.

During this process I spent some time on the phone with Rod at Airstream who was very helpful. He indicated that they use something similar to the Alcoa that came with an aplicator like a "phlugger??? oil can" that worked real slick. He directed me to a "helpful" dealer in Boise ID who was reputed to carry the kit. The dealer says "We use the Alcoa gutter seal. Works great." That was when I gave up and ordered the stuff from Rocky Mt.

Rod also indicated it works better to seal the top of windows and the vents with Vulkem or similar polyeurathene. He suggested to use the Vulkem where you couldn't see it and use the Alcoa on verticals and where you can see it. This would seem to be in line with what Andy said about large / small seams.

The Airstream dreams site suggests Vulkem 636 instead of 116/616. Found specs on this stuff and it has better elongation, is about 50% softer, has better peel strength but lower tear strength.

While all this was happening we got our first rain since we got the trailer and I went up to the site to check it out tonight. Only water I could find was a few drops where I left the bathroom vent open. Seems like I got a tight trailer. Based on what I saw when I looked at some of the seams I am amazed but happy.

Bluegrass is flat picking good!
APB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:00 PM   #22
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Sealant

I think we should REST this CASE...

(funny...I lived in Alameda California for 14 years...just moved away in 1990.)

I've printed this last post ...and intend to follow up with the contact places shared....GREAT RESEARCHING! 'GO TO THE HEAD OF THE CLASS"...

I'm impressed......and informed.
.............Cat