Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #1

2006 25' Safari
New Bern , North Carolina
Sealant for roof vents & skylight?

I have had my Safari for three years now and the sealant/caulk around the roof vents, skylight, tank vents, etc, on the roof is shot. I looked through the forums but could not find an answer to my question. After I remove the old sealant around everything, what should I use to re-seal them with. From my local Airstream dealer I have gotten two answers. One guy said use Parr parlastic caulk, another guy said use Dico, or is it Dicor, self leveling sealant. Also I read somewhere on line to use Sikaflex721. The sealant/caulk that is there now is from the factory and it appears all they did was smear it up the sides and out from each part on the roof. Any help/advise on this would be greatly appreciated.
Dodge Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Man View Post
I have had my Safari for three years now and the sealant/caulk around the roof vents, skylight, tank vents, etc, on the roof is shot. I looked through the forums but could not find an answer to my question. After I remove the old sealant around everything, what should I use to re-seal them with. From my local Airstream dealer I have gotten two answers. One guy said use Parr parlastic caulk, another guy said use Dico, or is it Dicor, self leveling sealant. Also I read somewhere on line to use Sikaflex721. The sealant/caulk that is there now is from the factory and it appears all they did was smear it up the sides and out from each part on the roof. Any help/advise on this would be greatly appreciated.
You can use Vulkem, which is slow setting, like a couple of days, or you can use Sikoflex, which sets up in a couple of hours.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Roof Sealants,

If you take a look at the Airstream Store website you will see they sell both the Silkflex721 and Parlastic. During a recent visit to Jackson Center I also noticed that some of the technicians were using Bostik 1100 on the roof. All of the above will work fine, since you will probably be replacing in another five years.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #4

2006 25' Safari
New Bern , North Carolina
Thank you both for your answers.
Dodge Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Do not use Dicor, IMHO. It will turn yellow in a few years and look like hell. Ask me how I know.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #6

1975 Argosy 26
Arroyo Grande , California
fixing leaks

I wish I would have checked out this forum sooner as I've already started to gut my 75 Argosy and have tons of questions. I removed the ugly old antenna leaving a few holes. I patched it with ProFlex. After letting it dry I applied an aluminum patch (Airstream guys gave it to me) I used more ProFlex between the 2 pieces of aluminum and put it together with Airstream rivets. I have also removed the putty around the vents and was planning to use mobile home putty tape to reseal it. So tell me have I made a mistake yet and should I go with the putty or one of the products mentioned in this thread? I'm doing what the Airstream repair guys suggested.
75Argal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
I would use Vulkem or Trempro which is almost the same. Sikaflex is good too. G
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote