Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2004, 02:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Sealant ?

Is this the REAL McCoy http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...823983619&rd=1 ?Copy And paste
Old 06-25-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Probably. It is the old grainy Vulkem that was used by Airstream for decades. Vulkem now has a product #636 which has a smoother finish, more like Sikaflex.

What this guy is selling is the same product as marketed to the construction trade as Vulkem #616. Vulkem uses different numbers for the same product when sold through different distribution channels. I believe I pay $3.95 locally for #616.

His current bid is $12.49 for two tubes, plus $3.95 shipping.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
This reminds me of my question. When polishing the AS last week, I noticed separation of sealant over the entry door-just a small crack all across above the door, but a break in the seal. The sealant is old looking, greyish, sort of alligatorish looking (best I know how to describe!). What do we need to do here? What is the sealant we need to replace this? How do we go about doing it? Also, I noticied that the black rub rail (?) trim just above the belly pan under the rock guards is unattached at the end about 5-6 inches. Looks like failure of caulk or sealant again. It doesn't appear to have been riveted on. It is very stiff and sticking out at the end about 1/4 inch. What do we need to do to fix this? I know many of you are really easy with repair, but this is all new to us and we want to do it right. I've read here on the forum about Parbond and Vulkem. What are each of these for and is one of these what we need for our repairs? Little issues, but seem important to us! Thanks.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote