Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Sashco Lexel sealant

As you all know Im a non conformist by nature....
I have decided to re seal every inch of my 1991 Classic with the above mentioned product.
My question is this.... for those who have used this product, have you experienced any yellowing, chalking, or otherwise from sun?
My question is not of its ability to stick and seal long term, thats already proven, but rather its long term appearance when exposed to sun.
I have used this stuff before, and its going on 30 years of perfect adhesion, but those vehicles are museum restoration vehicles, only seeing daylight once and a while.

This stuff is amazing. I wish this was the sealant of AS assembly.... we would never have a leak, or the need to re caulk....like ever!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
My brother in law swears by Lexel. He has been using it for several years on his 5th wheel SOB. He uses it on the rubber roof to flash the Fantastic fan and sewer vents. He uses it on the metal to fiberglass (windows and doors). I've been watching it for the last 3-4 years and it held up well. No black spots have formed on the white caulk lines. There has been no change in color.

So.. I decided to try Lexel clear. I put some on the beltline trim 2 years ago just to try it out. It's been fine setting outside in FL the whole time. It has not deteriorated in any way. I think it is better than Parrbond, for the top of the beltline.

I also used Lexel white to seal the tank adapters when I installed new valves. I used it because it is advertised to seal even if the surface was wet. So far it has been good, no leaks. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Thanks for your feedback. It is truly remarkable stuff. Ive started using it in invisible places on the AS, now time to go prime time!

I winter in Arizona. In just a few seasons, all the existing caulk is crispy cooked, but the Lexel remains crystal clear and very rubbery.
Your Florida experience is exactly what Im looking for!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I have not used the Lexel brand, but have used similar toluene-based products on exterior projects (painted and un-painted). I agree it is the best, longest lasting sealant I have ever used.

Again, not Lexel, but I went outside to see a 4yr. old application around my power meter sealing it to the brick. The job is not pretty, but then, I wasn't trying to be.

It gets about 5 hrs. of sun daily (until about noon). The side is still crystal clear (about the same as the day it was applied. The top, however, has turned a little milky gray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caulk2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	317060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caulk.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	317061  

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
A little off topic, but still about sealants:

An option for those with silver painted Interstates is Seamer Mate gutter sealer. It is an almost exact color match and is a long-lasting flexible sealer that holds up to sun very well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax...seamer+mate%7D

Seamer Mate is hard to work with because it dries fast. You must apply sparingly and smooth it nearly instantly after application for a nice finish. But the color match to my silver Avenue is worth it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote