Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Oregon
Rustoleum Leak Seal

Hello all!

I am about to start resealing the exterior of my '77 Excella 500. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Rustoleum Leakseal on the exterior of their Airstream? I know that Vulkem is the most highly recommended product, but it seams its recommended qualities (durability and flexibility) are inherently built into leakseal with a much easier application process.

Also, I suppose while we are here, should I seal both exterior and interior seams just for the sake of overkill? really don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

Thanks,
Cory
CorySessums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forum.
No self respecting Airstream owner would be caught using tbat stuff on their trailer. I can't imagine anybody wanting to see every seam on their trailer covered by this black spray sealer, which doesn't even work that great on metal, anyway.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
First of all, welcome aboard. If you are talking about the stuff that comes in a spray can, its a relatively thick black coating. Why would you want that on the outside of the trailer? I could see it if you had the inner skins off and wanted to spray the seams on the inside. And while we are on the subject, I used some of it to seal up a seam in a gutter on my house and it didn't work for very long, started leaking again. May have something to do with movement of materials, but I wasn't impressed.

When I first got my trailer, I focused on the seams around the windows and used the gray vulkem. I havent done anything to seal up the seams where the exterior panels meet and so far dont need to, no evidence of leaks. The PO of the trailer had used lots of silicone caulk on the rivets on the roof, I ended up removing all that and sealed up the roof with a material called ceramiflex. It's a white coating designed for commercial roofs and it does a great job sealing any potential leaks while cooling down the roof significantly during the summer. I detailed that job here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...lex-98479.html

The other problem areas are usually the waste system vents on the roof and all the marker lights. Check all those for condition and recaulk with vulkem or replace as needed. The vents usually have a rubber gasket that degrades with time and lets water down in between the walls.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Oregon
Thanks.

Thanks for the input, all!

This product does come in clear and aluminum as well. Should I focus exclusively on exterior seams and hit me with well know products, or is the interior usually a culprit as well?
CorySessums is offline   Reply With Quote