Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonny River , New Brunswick
Roof sealant removal and a leaky fridge vent

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to clean up the patchwork competed by the PO as well as a leaky fridge vent.

the PO - the Canadian DND sealed all seams on the roof with some sort of tarry stuff. Other than it looking like crap it was neatly done and its still soft but not sticky.

My thoughts are that I should remove the "goo", drill out the rivets around the edge, seal between the two sheets on the overlap, and re-rivet....is this overkill? also in the goo removal area, anything I shouldn't use? I was thinking goo-b-gone.

Lastly, when I did my inspection I noticed that the fridge vent has a plastic flappy thing on the upslope side between it and the AC unit in the pic that appears to be "flashing" of some sort. this flap is just sitting on top of the skin and was sealed with something..."vulkem"? its greyish and hard. What it WAS sealed with doesn't really matter because its not sealed anymore I suspect that someone, not me , stepped between the A/C and the vent popping the seal. It actually wasn't me in case that matters

I haven't taken it apart yet but I thought that I would ask how the vent should be installed? I would have expected that it would be similar to flashing a window or dormer on a house. You ALWAYS put the upper covering OVER the lower one since water flows down slope in most cases....

Any info is good info!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	106150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	106151  

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	106152  
Rob&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I sympathize, as the p/o of mine ran a bead of tarry caulk under where the awning had been mounted, it is heck to get off. I was able to get some off when the weather was cold, it hardened somewhat. At least you don't see it unless you are up high somewhere.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Black tank toilet vent missing

It looks like the black tank toilet vent has been removed and a small patch has been placed over the hole (last picture right side). That can't be good.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
It looks like the black tank toilet vent has been removed and a small patch has been placed over the hole (last picture right side). That can't be good.

Don
Noticed that too Don. Looks like the other one is also missing - roof line curve on the left above the awning. The patch in the front is over the antenna mount hole. Not sure what that other patch is for (larger one in pic 3) - anyone know...?
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
oops, sorry I forgot to mention that this AS used to be a Canadian Forces Mobile Recruiting Office. It's been converted into a presentation room with a private office

I'm about to to un-convert it ....

Here's a pic of the inside
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	106162  
Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Wow, I looked at your other pictures. You have a clean slate to work with and 2 doors. Do you have a layout in mind.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
We've been searching the net but nothing solid as of yet. I have a thread in the general section looking for ideas....

I am partial to having a wrap around dinette at the front with a table that would make a double or queen bed. We have about 6' 6" from the windows to the door, leaving a bit of space from the front door frame for extra large people. Also, we could leave a bit of ledge around the back for holding drinks, or for small children to climb and get there fingerprints in places that make you stand back and say, "Now, how in the heck did he get pudding prints up there???"

The range fan/vent is on the left side of the f/door so we thought that we would put the range there with the sink beside it. fridge vent is opposite the range...sorta. so its likely destined to stay there.

The aftermarket door in the back is the conundrum....what do we do.? its one of those things that regardless of the final decision it will limit the final design, possibly forever. Utility closet with outside access is at the top of the list right now....with an outside bathroom access coming in at a close second. With the dinette at the front this may free up the space for the bathroom to be a bit bigger on the curbside. weight distribution may be an issue at some point though if the range, bathroom, and sink are all on one side.

We were also thinking about switching the inside skin to aluminum where it would be visible. If so we would take out the front control panel, this may cause the "purists" to gasp I am not a purist....to an extent. I do believe that the style should remain Airstreamy but she's an '88 Excella and I'm really not into the late '80's motif. I was there once before, skin tight jeans and "hair band" style mullets and all, I have no desire or need to go back. Btw, is an Airstream a "she"? or is that completely politically INcorrect??

This is turning into more of an interior reno thread than a sealant issue...sorry. I'm probably going to put this same post in my other thread on interior design, please don't judge me for copying and pasting.