Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2002, 07:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JrnymnJay
Removing Vulkem

Anyone out there have experience removing Vulkem and other types of sealant?

The best method I've heard of was to use sharpened popcicle sticks or paint stirrers. But I've got a lot of the stuff to remove on the outside of my trailer...terrible labor intensive, but I want it clean so it can be polished and looks better.

Anyone know of a solvent for the stuff?

Jay
JrnymnJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 08:56 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JrnymnJay
to clarify, I'm not positive that the exterior material is Vulkem.

I'm assuming it is due to it's flexibility and grayish color.
JrnymnJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 02:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Removing that stuff is very labor intensive. My 71 Safari has Vulcum all over the roof seams around the vents and every penetration about 1/4" thick and 2" to 3" wide. My method of removal is to use a very sharp 1/2" wide wood chisel and shave off as much as you can before you get to the aluminum. Then use BIX spray-on paint remover. Let it set for about 30 minutes. Again use the chisel to remove as much as possible and reapply the BIX and start the proceedure again. It takes sometimes five applications and lots of paper towels to get it all off. After you're done wash down with clean water to remove any leftover residue.
Good Luck.

Jerry
Jerry Sulkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:49 PM   #4

Goof-Off is 100% xylene and is available at Home Depot and other home improvement stores. It will cut ureathane caulk such as Vulkem very quickly using wiping rags, but is a very *hot* solvent and should only be used in a very well ventilated area (unless you're using an appropriate respirator) while using appropriate gloves (such as PVC gloves). Naptha will work as well, but slightly slower than xylene.

I haven't tried either on the plasti-coat to see if the plasti-coat will be affected, so you might want to try a small area first to check for any effect on the plasti-coat.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

« Vulkum | Top | Roof seal »