Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Redgard for waterproofing

Greetings,

I am curious if anyone has thought about the potential for Redgard shower membrane for off label use in sealing interior seams during a restoration. We recently had our floor and shower tiled, and the contractor used the Redgard membrane. It is flexible, waterproof, and actually helps prevent tile cracking. The contractor said he had painted it over a piece of screen, and it held water once it dried.

I have not researched the specs on this product, and don't claim to be an engineer. It bonds to metal, plastic, and other substrates so this screams at me to be used in seam sealing from the inside.

Any opinions on this?

Before anyone asks...No, I am not in the process of renovating a vintage unit for our use. I already have an agreement to purchase on in California, and we are just waiting for it to be finished
Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
If you had the interior sheeting out and good access to the exterior shell, it seems like it would be great. Something maybe the factory could/should be doing.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
If you had the interior sheeting out and good access to the exterior shell, it seems like it would be great. Something maybe the factory could/should be doing.
My thoughts as well. This stuff is expensive, and that is why it likely wouldn't happen. I can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed on as well. I would just brush or roll it over seam laps.

Steve
Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I used Redgard in my home when I was laying ceramic tile on a new concrete floor. It’s interesting stuff. My reason for using it is that it also acts as a minor release agent. I was concerned that cracking of the new concrete would transmit through to the tile and crack it as well. The idea was that when the concrete cracks, the Redgard would release the contact between the tile and the concrete and not move into the tile. When you’re done rolling it on, it does provide an obvious water resistant barrier.
I’ve seen some posts here discussing cracking of flooring over the seams in the plywood decking. I’ve often wondered if putting Redgard on the plywood would reduce that cracking. The water proofing would be a bonus. I’m in the process of installing new flooring in my trailer and I seriously considered using Redgard. However, I’m laying Marmoleum, and I can’t find any literature that discusses the compatability of the two products. So I’m not going to risk it as the Marmoleum is very expensive and I don’t want to screw it up.
The Redgard is a little pricy at about $45 per gallon, and a gallon covers about 110 square feet. In my mind that’s not prohibitively expensive. I just don’t want to experiment on my nice pretty sheet of Marmoleum.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote