Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Rear Bumper Leak HELP Please!

HI,

I saw a few threads about this and am confident this is my issue. Water under flooring at dinette 2019 FC 25FB.

I'm hustling with work and rain is coming back in a few hours so before I do something I'll regret I'd like some advice please.

The threads I read illustrated a lack of sealant between bumper and walls. Mine has a ~1/2" rubber gasket shoved in the gap. I'm considering adding a bunch of caulking but want to make sure I do it right.

If any one could direct me to a thorough fix I'd appreciate it very much! As I said I am busy working for the next couple hours before I can do anything but want to avoid messing it up!

Thanks!

Trav!
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
We have a 25 fb had the same problem. We went above rub rail with a fine bead of Acryl-R it takes some time as we did the whole trailer. Then between the back bumper and the rub rail we caulked it. We checked the seal every other year with Captain Tully's. Been good since 07. Good luck and happier streaming

2007 25' FB International CCD Solar
2019 Toyota Tundra
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd tighe View Post
We have a 25 fb had the same problem. We went above rub rail with a fine bead of Acryl-R it takes some time as we did the whole trailer. Then between the back bumper and the rub rail we caulked it. We checked the seal every other year with Captain Tully's. Been good since 07. Good luck and happier streaming
Thanks!

I'm seeing people remove the rub rail and adding stuff in there but mine is pretty solid bead of caulk. I'll add more there but am hesitant to remove it unless part of the fix.

Luckily I had damaged the floor so noticed right away there's a leak. If I hadn't torn it up in that small spot I'd never know! I still have to remove some stuff inside and peel it back to dry the floor and see if any damage.

I'm still under warranty and when I called AS the supposedly notated my file with a note they advised me to caulk as well but not exactly where! They seemed oblivious to the bumper leak.....which is what brought me here for the right answer!

Still looking for advice and photos of how-to!

Trav
Old 06-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Port Angeles , Washington
Sorry to jear about your flooring issue. have a,2018 International Serenity 30 RB bought new. , we thought it would be worry free. Amazing to hear that a,2019 already has sever leaks. My late husband and I insisted,on building a garage for"Alice" as,well as for all his tools. Mine is up for sale and is still like new. No problems.
When expecting that the 30 ft would sell fast, I very recently bought a 2003 International CCD 22. I overpaid, as,I did not pull up vinyl flooring and do a good inspection,prior to finalizing tbe purchase. Moisture has darkened the middle rear about 10 inches. After reading some forums, I found all kinds of threads on 3 to 4 years in the early 2000's when the subfloor was,made,with OSB, or inferior board. I then also discovered there was often a gap in the rear where while driving in wet conditions, the water,can spray right up onto the subfloor.
Kind of sounds like your model could have similar,issues.
Is THOR Industries,outting out an inferior product just like almost every other manufacturer? So do we,love the style enough to dump in more money? Like a boat!
Best of,luck
JEC in Port Angeles, WA
JECTJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Rear Bumper leak

Do not wait until the leak starts before sealing that area between the rear bumper and the molding. Hereís what I recommend.
Got to Lowes and purchase a tube of Sikaflex-221, Black, Multi-Purpose Sealant/Adhesive, Polyurethane Fast Curing Sealant, 10.1 fl. Oz Cartridge. Itís about $15.00 and seal that area really well. You can also order this product on Amazon and have it delivered. My friend had the same leak and it ended up costing over $2,500 dollars for the repair plus had to wait 3 months for it to be repaired. Itís either spend $15 dollars or $2,500. Your choice.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Sorry, what is the rub rail?
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsapp View Post
Do not wait until the leak starts before sealing that area between the rear bumper and the molding. Hereís what I recommend.
Got to Lowes and purchase a tube of Sikaflex-221, Black, Multi-Purpose Sealant/Adhesive, Polyurethane Fast Curing Sealant, 10.1 fl. Oz Cartridge. Itís about $15.00 and seal that area really well. You can also order this product on Amazon and have it delivered. My friend had the same leak and it ended up costing over $2,500 dollars for the repair plus had to wait 3 months for it to be repaired. Itís either spend $15 dollars or $2,500. Your choice.
What is the rub rail?
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
HI,

I saw a few threads about this and am confident this is my issue. Water under flooring at dinette 2019 FC 25FB.

I'm hustling with work and rain is coming back in a few hours so before I do something I'll regret I'd like some advice please.

The threads I read illustrated a lack of sealant between bumper and walls. Mine has a ~1/2" rubber gasket shoved in the gap. I'm considering adding a bunch of caulking but want to make sure I do it right.

If any one could direct me to a thorough fix I'd appreciate it very much! As I said I am busy working for the next couple hours before I can do anything but want to avoid messing it up!

Thanks!

Trav!
I didnít think this was an issue on newer model trailers. Are you sure this is coming from the bumper area? Can you have a pressurized leak test done anywhere or can you use a garden hose to try to track down the leak?
rfequity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverminer View Post
What is the rub rail?
The rub rail is that 1.5" silver trim along the seam of the top to the bottom. Just 1/2" above the bumper.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:25 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfequity1 View Post
I didnít think this was an issue on newer model trailers. Are you sure this is coming from the bumper area? Can you have a pressurized leak test done anywhere or can you use a garden hose to try to track down the leak?
I sprayed where I suspected with a hose and sure enough the leak is right in the street side rear corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsapp View Post
I ordered some that will arrive Friday!

Some suggest removing the rub rail and sealing behind that as well. I'm pretty confident the leak is under the rubber gasket so not sure if I need to remove or just clean the heck out of it and fill with Sikaflex.

The water really puddles right there. My AS is perfectly level and it's a design problem.

I'm under warranty and already have a case started with AS. I explained I'm on vacation and can't find a service center for over 30 days. They seemed unaware of this issue but noted they told me to caulk it up everywhere in the back!

I have an appt. for September to have the floor analyzed but shouldn't cost me a dime.

Any further detailed instruction to make this a one and done repair most welcomed!

Trav!
Old 06-30-2022, 06:59 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

South , South Dakota
Is the leak above the floor? If so It's not the rub rail it's up higher, different problem
Old 06-30-2022, 07:12 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

South , South Dakota
Where to caulk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstreamers.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	418640  
Old 06-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Is the leak above the floor? If so It's not the rub rail it's up higher, different problem
I had run a bead of caulk along the top of the rub rail but it looked quite solid to begin with.

I directed a stream of water at the bottom of the rubber gasket that rests atop the bumper flat that connects and this leaked into the AS. I had pulled up the flooring to let dry and get a look at the plywood sub floor which seems ok.

All the seams and tail lights look very well sealed and caulked so I'm confident it's at that rubber gasket.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Where to caulk
Thanks!

So just clean the rubber gasket and adjoining rub rail and bumper and have at it with Sikaflex 221?

I had read one thread where the guy removed the rub rail. I don't think that would give me much more access as the rubber seems stuffed well inside of the rub rail in the corner.

I have 2 tubes of 221 in the mail right now!

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2022, 06:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Where to caulk
That's exactly right. There is fair amount of water that falls on the bumper storage compartment cover and if the trailer is angled forward it flows towards the aluminum shell where there can be openings under the rub rail. Better be safe and seal off that joint across the width of the bumper compartment such that the water will flow off on either side to the ground. Sealing above the rub rail is not a bad idea (I did it) but then you could extend that to the rail around the whole trailer.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Gloucester , North Carolina
Does anyone have advice on making floor repairs needed as a result of rear area leaks? Photos of the repair process?

My 2012 International 25 RB has a soft floor on the rear curbside corner. I never saw any leaking in the area, just the soft floor. I haven’t yet identified the leak so I’ll probably seal all the areas described in the various posts.

I’m hoping when I pull up the vinyl I can just patch the rotted area of the floor, but I don’t know anything about the construction there so I’d be very grateful for some advice from anyone who has done this before.
Daystreamin is offline   Reply With Quote