Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Your profile shows a 2020 Bambi. Why are you concerned with resealing seams? At any rate, Parbond is not as durable as Acryl-R for that purpose.

Somewhere on the Forum, there is a whole post on sealants and their applications. Should be a simple search to find it.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Chillicothe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Your profile shows a 2020 Bambi. Why are you concerned with resealing seams? At any rate, Parbond is not as durable as Acryl-R for that purpose.

Somewhere on the Forum, there is a whole post on sealants and their applications. Should be a simple search to find it.

If youíre addressing me ... I donít have a 2020 Bambi ... I have a Flying Cloud. Yes there are numerous threads on the forum addressing sealers. I was looking for a source on how-to or best practice.
I apologize for causing you confusion.
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFelts View Post
And, no, the lettering can't leak; you are right that they are just stuck on with tape.

Great video! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Sorry to hear of your leak issues! That has to be frustrating!

I have had several very good sources say to seal the seam where the rear trunk and trailer meet. (where the black trunk meets the aluminum body)

It doesn't come sealed from the factory but many have said it has been the source of their leaks. Any good polyurethane sealer works. Sika 1A (or 15LM) is the product I used.

Thanks for this piece of info. I believe Iíve heard that the rear bumper can be a source of leaks where it meets the trailer. Iím adding this to my list of places to seal.

So far my list of areas to seal are the belt line trim, front and rear panoramic windows, rain rails/awning rails (Iíve noticed some gaps in the sealant), some spots Iíve noticed on the roof, rear bumper, clearance lights...

Great info so far! Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 06-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Follow up question regarding the effects of a water leak; is there a real concern that mold has developed in the area our initial leak? Itís a new trailer...

Iím fairly sure rain water was entering through a gap in the rear clearance marker lights, and dripping inside the trailer at the stress relief holes at the top of the panoramic window frame. It was a light drip that caught our attention after our first big rain. But I assume the insulation in this area of the end cap became wet. We stopped the leak from the outside within a day.

As a full timer, is there any real concern about mold here if weíve now stopped the leak? We also keep the trailer humidity down for the most part, around 30-50% humidity. I donít want to have to worry about health concerns but I also donít want to tear I to the interior skins of a new trailer if itís not necessary.

Thoughts or experiences?
Old 07-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
....Go up on the roof.
That's where AS believes only birds and angels will ever see the quality sealing procedures being implemented.
Hahah! I went up on the roof for the first time today and wowwwwww... I'd looked up there before from a ladder while washing but never got ON the roof. Not looking forward to stripping off all the caulk and redoing it to better-than-a-5th-grader-could, standards.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Ash View Post
Follow up question regarding the effects of a water leak; is there a real concern that mold has developed in the area our initial leak? Itís a new trailer...

Iím fairly sure rain water was entering through a gap in the rear clearance marker lights, and dripping inside the trailer at the stress relief holes at the top of the panoramic window frame. It was a light drip that caught our attention after our first big rain. But I assume the insulation in this area of the end cap became wet. We stopped the leak from the outside within a day.

As a full timer, is there any real concern about mold here if weíve now stopped the leak? We also keep the trailer humidity down for the most part, around 30-50% humidity. I donít want to have to worry about health concerns but I also donít want to tear I to the interior skins of a new trailer if itís not necessary.

Thoughts or experiences?
Jasper we encountered the exact same issue today and I was wondering how you fixed it? We have a brand new 27FB Globetrotter, our first rain for two days and from the top of the panoramic rear windows we had 5-6 drops of water running down the mosquito net. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Jasper we encountered the exact same issue today and I was wondering how you fixed it? We have a brand new 27FB Globetrotter, our first rain for two days and from the top of the panoramic rear windows we had 5-6 drops of water running down the mosquito net. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
I believe we stopped the leak from the three clearance lights on the top of the rear end cap. The lights were not properly fitted to the trailer. I had the lights taped up to prevent a leak for a while and only recently got around to refitting the clearance lights and I added a little extra sealant just in case.

We have not yet had a big enough rain to see if I solved the leak but the fact that the leak stopped once I taped up the clearance lights leads me to believe that was the issue. Get up near the roof and take a look at the clearance lights. We had a noticeable gap, maybe quarter inch, between the foam gasket on the clearance lights and aluminum end cap. They just werenít tightened down all the way. If thatís your issue as well try to cover the area and see if that stops the leak during the next rain. I wouldnít recommend taping the lights up to cover them from rain the way I did. I left them taped up with Frog Tape for a good six months and now I have the tedious project of trying to remove all of the adhesive left behind.

We still have a slight leak at the panoramic windows. A small amount of water gets into the window channels but doesnít seem to go anywhere else. Iíve ordered some Captain Tollys to attempt to seal the windows.
Jasper Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Ash View Post
I believe we stopped the leak from the three clearance lights on the top of the rear end cap. The lights were not properly fitted to the trailer. I had the lights taped up to prevent a leak for a while and only recently got around to refitting the clearance lights and I added a little extra sealant just in case.

We have not yet had a big enough rain to see if I solved the leak but the fact that the leak stopped once I taped up the clearance lights leads me to believe that was the issue. Get up near the roof and take a look at the clearance lights. We had a noticeable gap, maybe quarter inch, between the foam gasket on the clearance lights and aluminum end cap. They just werenít tightened down all the way. If thatís your issue as well try to cover the area and see if that stops the leak during the next rain. I wouldnít recommend taping the lights up to cover them from rain the way I did. I left them taped up with Frog Tape for a good six months and now I have the tedious project of trying to remove all of the adhesive left behind.

We still have a slight leak at the panoramic windows. A small amount of water gets into the window channels but doesnít seem to go anywhere else. Iíve ordered some Captain Tollys to attempt to seal the windows.
Thanks for your reply. We added it to our warranty repair list, definitely to be done before we head into our next rainy adventure!
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote