Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2003, 07:41 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Parr Bond

Is Parr Bond the same thing as Parlastic Caulk?? I've seen Parlastic Caulk, but I don't believe I've ever seen Parr Bond...

I hate to open this up for a major discussion, but what sealant should I use around the water heater flange/shell?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:13 AM   #2
pap

Sorry don't know the answer but want to,too.

BTW Craig check your private messages please.

Lastly: you said;
Quote:
"I hate to open this up for a major discussion, but what sealant should I use around the water heater flange/shell?"
What the Heck is wrong with major discussions ? They're the best kind, and isn't that what these forums are here for?
Your curiosity adds to my knowledge so thanks for asking...most anything!
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Apparently not. Parlastic comes in a tube for use caulk gun. Parbond comes in a squeeze type tube. Parbond is very thin - it will run to a certain exent when applied. This is its chief virtue in that it will flow into small crevices.

I buy it at a local RV supplier (I like the clear, but it comes in aluminum, among other colors). Since Inland Andy touts its virtues I presume they will sell you some.

Edit - I notice this source for the aluminum and white: http://www.dyersonline.com/ . I know nothing of the company.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:14 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Doesn't sound like Parr Bond is what I would want to use around the water heater flange then (since it is so thin). What about the consistency of Sikaflex?

(Pap - sorry, I just checked my PMs.)
Old 04-10-2003, 01:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I consider Sikaflex and Vulkem to be fuctionally interchangable. Sikaflex cures out to appear much smoother than Vulkem, though, so it looks nicer in exposed areas.

I am not sure what a "water heater flange" is. There is a putty like material that comes in rolls which is used, for example, behind the chrome furnace intake/exhaust plate. Mostly, though, if Parbond is too thin, I use Sikaflex. It is a rather heavy bodied caulk.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Mark,

I'm talking about the part of the water heater that is attached to the shell of the trailer. I plan to use the putty tape between the water heater and the shell, but figured I should finish off the job with some sort of sealant (Vulkem or Sikaflex).

Craig
Old 04-10-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I have used the semi flexible RV sealer that comes on a roll. It was available in grey and it did a decent job. It has been a year since i replaced my water heater, and the sealer is still doing it's job.
I am going under the assumption that the flange in question is the one that is on the water heater and will cover the opening on the body shell.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Uwe,

Do you beleive I still haven't installed my water heater!?! It got to cold so I waited for Spring...

What did you finish the job with? Did you use the putty as the only sealer? I was thinking of finishing off the edge of the water heater seal to the trailer with Vulkem or Sikaflex. Maybe it's not even necessary with the putty seal????

Craig