Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Painted Argosy seam sealant-after the fact?

Our '78 Argosy, just bought by us and just newly painted by auto shop PO, has a leak showing on the subfloor at the base of the door trim on the right (to the front) door handle side of the door. Since I know from earlier threads that a leak at the door could be sourced from anywhere above, I suspect that I need to begin a major inspection and sealing job after the fact of painting from awning strip on down and perhaps windows along there as well. Since it's just been painted, I don't have access to many seams so I'll be looking to inject whenever I see an "opening" on a seam in the painting, and yes, there are such narrow breaks in the paint at seams. Can someone here tell me how to go about my job and what sealer to use on my creamy painted Argosy exterior? I think I'll have to use a fairly fine syringe to run something into seam openings so the sealant will need to be color compatible and also have a run factor. Ideas? Help, please and thanks. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Fearing this thread will get lost before I get help, I'm asking just once more if anyone has any info on method and type of sealant to use on our freshly painted creme-colored Argosy that has a rain leak appearing on the subfloor on the right (door knob) opening of the door. I think I need to seal along the awning rail, the curved rail above the door and around the window by the door. I'll look for seam openings in that area too. Where else? Thanks for any advice. II have used the search function for this. ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Well let's see. First of all do you see cracks at the seams to make you think it is the seams. Usually the paint would be enough. If it is near the door it could be the door gaskets, the window to the right of the door which you can silka (spl) from the airstream store around the glass edge. Mine leaked from the screws in the top is the awning, if they took the awning off to paint they may have never sealed the screws they put back. It is a lot of trial and error. More errors on my part. I have heard of people thinning the caulking down with MEK and use a syringe to apply.

Hope this is some help and keep your thread alive til after the weekend. Everyone else is camping.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Frank's Trailer Works used Acryl-R on my Minuet to fill its many leaks. He said it gets drawn into the crack. It's an off-gray and isn't really noticeable against my so-so white paint job.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
First it is great you had it painted. Ours was painted a couple of weeks ago. So far no leaks and in WA weather it has been tested. [smile] I thought of the door seal or hinge. We had the door hinges fixed on ours and yours is the same age as ours. Spendy to fix but the bolt broke in the repair process. Better than having the door come off while on the road. Any who [as my kids say], hope you find the leak. Judy
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Painted Argosy seam sealant-after the fact?

Greetings Georgia!

I haven't had my Minuet painted yet, so I am not certain what the best seam sealant might be. What I do have are four guesses as to the origin of your leak:
  1. If your coach has the optional scare light, it may have been removed for painting and not properly sealed when reinstalled.
  2. The roof vent on my coach was the source of a persistent leak that evidenced itself by a small puddle near the door. Mine was solved with a new Fantastic Vent fan, but the original can be resealed by removing all of the old sealant, cleaning the surfaces and resealing.
  3. If your coach has the optional roof-mounted television antenna, it is notorious for leak problems both around its perimeter and through the central shaft.
  4. The refrigerator roof vent is very near where the leak becomes apparent and it is another of the area where I have had a leak on my Minuet. Not only can the vent leak around its base, it is also possible that hail may have cracked or shattered the vent if it is fiberglass like the vent on my Minuet.
An old technique that I was taught for dealing with Alcoa Gutter Seal (the old recommended seam sealant) was to utilize low-tack painters tape on either side of the seam to be sealed to contain any overfill and avoid staining the paint (since your paint is new and may not be fully cured it would be wise to test a small strip of the tape in an inconspicuous spot to be sure that the adhesive won't pull the paint film when it is removed).

Good luck in tracing your leak!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
The biggest cause of leaks on the door side is from a hole under the end of the awning rail, where it crosses the end cap seam. Airstream left out the rivet that falls under the end of the rail. Lift it slightly and you will probabaly find the hole . They put caulking in that hole and it has hardened and fallen out. I have found this on many trailers, Argosy and Airstream, some on both ends of the rail.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I used Colonial White Sikaflex on the seams of our Argosy. Got it at the local RV dealership. It matches the cream color paint almost exactly.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thank you for the tips you've offered in the posts above. We've moved our trailer into our steel barn so she's covered and ready for inspection. Any other observations will be appreciated. ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU