Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
On The Road Leak

After 48 hrs of torrential rain we had a leak. Nothing large - primarily around the front window with dribble in the middle of the window frame and concentration at bottom outside edge of the frame. This is in our 2017 FC 27FB. We have towed approx 12000 miles I past 16 months.
I have inspected roof and applied CPT Tulleys Cracker Sealant to all rivet heads etc.
during inspection I noticed a small wave in the sheeting next to the raised white roof that I am certain is the location of infiltration.
What is the best product to use to seal this area. The sealant in that area is gray/black.
I have a photo where I circled the area I’m speaking of ... thanks
Name:   IMG_0523.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  22.9 KB
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I don't know about "Best" but I used Parbond to seal a gap between an aluminum panel and the trim molding on the rear of my Classic. It dries a silver/gray color and flowed well into the crack, so well in fact that I had to make a second application after the first sank in.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I don't know about "Best" but I used Parbond to seal a gap between an aluminum panel and the trim molding on the rear of my Classic. It dries a silver/gray color and flowed well into the crack, so well in fact that I had to make a second application after the first sank in.

Al

Is it wipe the area and use or dos it require removal of old sealant? Thanks
Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I did not do anything before applying except clean the area with some alcohol. If you are working with a panel overlap seam it might be a good idea to remove sealant at the gap to be sure to get a good seal. In my case I was trying to seal a crack so I just squirted Parbond in it and wiped off excess.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
X2 on Parbond. I use mineral spirits on a rag for clean up and to make a smooth looking edge.

For a leak like that, I would put some tape over the suspected area and see if it leaks the next rain before I went to applying a sealant.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
X2 on Parbond. I use mineral spirits on a rag for clean up and to make a smooth looking edge.

For a leak like that, I would put some tape over the suspected area and see if it leaks the next rain before I went to applying a sealant.

Your thoughts being it was the storm with torrential rain while towing?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
After 48 hrs of torrential rain we had a leak. Nothing large - primarily around the front window with dribble in the middle of the window frame and concentration at bottom outside edge of the frame. This is in our 2017 FC 27FB. We have towed approx 12000 miles I past 16 months.
I have inspected roof and applied CPT Tulleys Cracker Sealant to all rivet heads etc.
during inspection I noticed a small wave in the sheeting next to the raised white roof that I am certain is the location of infiltration.
What is the best product to use to seal this area. The sealant in that area is gray/black.
I have a photo where I circled the area I’m speaking of ... thanksAttachment 296828
Cispook,

We hope you're enjoying your 2017 FC. Sorry to learn about the issue you're having.

Please feel free to call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 of for additional assistance on getting this taken care of. You can also visit your preferred Airstream dealer to have this addressed under warranty.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Cispook,

We hope you're enjoying your 2017 FC. Sorry to learn about the issue you're having.

Please feel free to call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 of for additional assistance on getting this taken care of. You can also visit your preferred Airstream dealer to have this addressed under warranty.

We are enjoying our AS. I did call the nearest AS dealership from my current location in the Great Smokey Mtns .... was told they had no openings for service and that odds of finding a leak as described were very slim.
We will watch same and if it replicates I will contact the Mothership for an appointment.