Probably the final update.
First, I donít think I ever showed the final floor pieced together. Only the center is original. Itís now dry, insulated, sealed, and Ö done!
(Youíre looking forward. The seats on the left are just being stored.)
This is the electric panel on the upturned bed frame. This is Airstreamís placement: toward the top left and deep inside. When the bed is down, the only way to see anything is by getting on the floor. I moved the box toward the front, down, and to the right. Now itís reasonable to access when sitting.
I put tile on the bedroom ledge where it used to be carpet. The little ďLĒ on the right has become a little night table. It turned out to be incredibly useful, so now I realize I could/should have doubled the size.
The tile going in (Allure). I put a quarter inch of cork under the floor everywhere for added insulation and to even out the floor seams a bit (even though I did belt sand them all).
Not the best picture, but the bedroom is complete. Someday, I planned on replacing the fabric around all the windows. Not shown is the newly covered headboard just below the mirror. White leather. I mean vinyl. I mean pleather.
The floor in the hall. The wall to the right (to get back to RV design) is sort of a floating wall. During manufacture, they lay down the carpeting and then put in the walls on top of the carpet. Bizarre in my mind. The walls were then screwed in diagonally at the base. ďWereĒ screwed in, because every single screw had been sheared off from stress. I put in small blocks in the bathroom, screwed them to the floor, then screwed the walls to the blocks. Sorry, no picture.
New porcelain toilet. Same floor throughout. I had actually planned on putting a wood floor down, but when trying to remove the existing wood floor in the kitchen, I found it was glued to the subfloor. It would have been impossible to pull it off without destroying the subfloor. And if I did this, I probably would have had to pull out the base cabinets in the kitchen. No thanks. And I just didnít think that wood in the rest of the RV, different from the kitchen, would look very good. So I tiled everywhere.
New carpet in the cab.
Both captains chairs are in excellent condition. Leather.
Starting to look like a motorhome again.
The frame for the television was plastic, cracked beyond repair, and ugly. So I put this together.
Decent joints, I think.
The old and the new. I covered the hole with Masonite because the television was ancient, broken, and thus removed. And since I havenít watched television in more than five years, I had no reason to replace it.
Tile going in the living room.
The existing sofa was, of course, old, dirty, damaged, and I wasnít going to sit on it. The chair was the same. And no matter how much I thought about it, I just couldnít justify spending $1500-$2000 on an RV this old to replace them. So I came up with this little design. First time I ever designed anything on the computer, then built it. It was worth it. It saved lots of time measuring, re-measuring, figuring, changing my mind and rebuilding, etc. Itís not beautiful, but it works.
Hereís is the storage under the old sofa.
Hereís the storage under the new one. Thatís its biggest asset. Including the chair, itís about 3-4 times as much storage. That small ledge in the back corner of the cabinet is covering electric wires. Itís removable.
The chair just starting.
The sofaís skeleton. As I said before, I came from sailboats to RVs, so this design is much closer to what youíd find in a boat. In a boat, itís almost a sin to waste space. This wastes nothing.
The cushions were really hard to find and decide on. And I needed to find them before I designed the sofa. Getting them custom built would have cost as much as a new sofa and chair.
These are outdoor cushions from Ikea. Theyíre nice because the covers are removable and washable--unlike most RV sofas that I have seen. And theyíre standard cushionsóso are easily replaced.
As you may have seen, the center piece is removable. And unlike the original sofa which was only 68Ē, this is about 77Ē. Iím 75Ē (6í3Ē), and I can easily lay on this.
I really built this console just to make it all fit. But itís worked out really well. Thereís a cubby hole in the front and the back lifts off for storage. Again, this is not the best design, but for an old RV Ö Iím pleased. And itís still so much better than what was there.
And the console moves so you can do this. Actually, this now gives a really convenient table where there was none before. Before, no place to even put a cup of coffee.
My table. Home Sweet MotorHome.
(Can you tell my girlfriend was involved?)
And hereís the really big news:
Now that Iím done (or almost. Like a boat, I guess an RV is never really done), itís FOR SALE! Iíve put months a work into it and almost as much money as I paid for it. I bought it at the low end of book value, and Iím selling it at the high end of book value.
Many reasons. First, for anyone whose read through my posts, you know Iím new to the RV world and really disappointed in the lack of quality, design, materials and engineering. And if I ever decide on something like this again (Iím sure I will), Iíll be building my own. Sort of a cross between an RV and whatís called a ďtiny house on wheelsĒ, if any of you are familiar with that concept. I want something solid and realistically insulated. But all this aside, what has really nudged my decision to sell is that Ö
Ö I have a new job in Phoenix. And all in all, it just doesnít work out for me to take it with me. It would inconvenience everything. So itís for sale. Located in Lawrenceville, NJ.
It will be on Craigslist soon. Iíll post a link.