Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Leaks through TV Antenna?

(I originally posted this whole thing in my introdution post for new members before I learned that there are sub-forums, so please forgive me!)

Hi All...TBRich here...you can call me TB or Terry. New to this forum and a relatively new Airstream owner. We have a 2006 19' Safari Bambi SE LS (the one with the aluminum skin inside rather than cloth) purhased in March 07. We are in Tucson, AZ, and in the midst of our annual rainy season (called "monsoons" here). We love the Bambi, and have had only a few cosmetic issues, but now we find that when it rains heavily, we have a leak with water coming in through the crank-up TV antenna mechanism... about 1/4 cup's worth after a good rain drips from the crank. Also our GFCI is tripped regularly during the rain or even when being washed ...whether this is a related problem or not, I don't know. (Re the latter, I have tightened the exterior electrical outlet face plate and cover, which has a rubber gasket underneath it, but the problem persists.) I don't know if the two problems are related, but I am concerned about water getting between the outter skin and the inner skin. Any suggestions or is anyone else having this issue? I have an appointment with the local Airstrem dealer to "water-test" the unit and try to determine the source of the leak...but any info will help.

One more thing...on the interior aluminum skin, we've had a few pop-rivets pop off completely...the shafts are still there and can be see through the hole in the skin, but the flattened part has popped off. Has anyone else had this problem? Our dealer didn't seem too concerned and said he can simply replace those rivets and the problem wil be solved.

Thanks!
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Do a polarity test and a ground test on your unit and the outlet it is plugged into. The GFI is telling you that you have an electrical leak to ground. Check the reistance from the neutral wire in the trailer to ground. It should be open. Check it in the plug on the house. It should be a dead short.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Fortunately, your rig is still under warranty and you're in Tucson where one of the better Airstream Service Centers, Oasis RV, is located. Give them a call and ask for Jay, the Service Manager.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
One more thing...on the interior aluminum skin, we've had a few pop-rivets pop off completelyThanks!
It's been half whipped to death here but you might want to search for
'running gear balance'. You might be suffereing from an out of balance condition on your running gear
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
...We love the Bambi, and have had only a few cosmetic issues, but now we find that when it rains heavily, we have a leak with water coming in through the crank-up TV antenna mechanism... about 1/4 cup's worth after a good rain drips from the crank...
Did you ever discover the source of your antenna leak? I am having similar behavior with my old Braund. It needs the gears replaced, so it would be a good time to address this as well.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We had the experience with our Sovereign, the aluminum skin under the antenna base had corroded away, and water was leaking between the base and the corrosion holes.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Pesky Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
We had the experience with our Sovereign, the aluminum skin under the antenna base had corroded away, and water was leaking between the base and the corrosion holes.
Thanks Terry,

I saw your similar comments on another thread later. Is there some seal around the shaft that I should be aware of. When I bought new gears, I also got a new cover and washer. Any other suggestions for advance preparedness? Did you put a patch on and what was your method?

How is the adventure going? Has the weather been good to you? We were luck here in Arkansas, but the extended rain reminded me of the 2 leaks that only occur if it rains for days.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Did you ever discover the source of your antenna leak? I am having similar behavior with my old Braund. It needs the gears replaced, so it would be a good time to address this as well.
Hey Vaughan...first pass at this the dealer thought the leak was coming directly through the antenna form the exterior but then it still leaked aftward...2nd time around they discovered a non-sealed screw hole underneath the solar panel...the water was coming in there and running the course of least resistance between the skins to the antenna area on the inside...then dripping through the interior skin... Since fixing we have had no leaks! Yea!

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Hey Vaughan...first pass at this the dealer thought the leak was coming directly through the antenna form the exterior but then it still leaked aftward...2nd time around they discovered a non-sealed screw hole underneath the solar panel...the water was coming in there and running the course of least resistance between the skins to the antenna area on the inside...then dripping through the interior skin... Since fixing we have had no leaks! Yea!

TB
Congratulations!

Those pesky unsealed holes will do it every time. The PO had installed a vent cover on mine, complete with lots of silicone. When I checked, there was a screw hole with no screw in it, just an empty hole. No silicone there, though.