Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Loogootee , Indiana
Leaks and Rotten Floor

I discovered quite a bit of rotten floor in my '73 Ambassador. We've had about 6 inches of rain over the course of the last three weeks so it helped me find the problems. Apparently one of the PO's had attempted to repair the lower rear exterior sections and placed the lower section AL over the top of the side section AL. This was all hidden under the trim/molding around that area. This created more of a gutter than anything and channeled all of that water right into the floor. I've cut out the floor and repaired one side of AL and sealed with Vulkem (it was sold as Vulkem but under a different name). I've had to weld in some angle to reinforce areas on the frame that were damaged. I hope to finish up next week. Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear camper floor.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	57789  
pnb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnb77
I discovered quite a bit of rotten floor in my '73 Ambassador. We've had about 6 inches of rain over the course of the last three weeks so it helped me find the problems. Apparently one of the PO's had attempted to repair the lower rear exterior sections and placed the lower section AL over the top of the side section AL. This was all hidden under the trim/molding around that area. This created more of a gutter than anything and channeled all of that water right into the floor. I've cut out the floor and repaired one side of AL and sealed with Vulkem (it was sold as Vulkem but under a different name). I've had to weld in some angle to reinforce areas on the frame that were damaged. I hope to finish up next week. Any tips?
You should perhaps consider removing the lower interior skin, so you can gain access to the floor channel. You will not be able to secure the repaired floor around the perimeter otherwise.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Loogootee , Indiana
Thanks for the tip, I will do that. I was looking into the floor fasteners that inlandrv.com suggests. I did make some headway last night. I was able to finish up one side, re-attach the lower molding, and cover my hands with seam sealer. I removed the water heater to find more damaged floor but it will be worth the work when its done. I'll post a few more pictures as I go.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You've got a 1973 Ambassador. Weren't we on the moon by then? Airstream made some bonehead moves, perhaps with some rationalization about the production line. I have a 1974 Argosy with the following problem. I've heard this about both Argosy & Airstream trailers for some years -- they would attach the lower belly wrap/banana wrap on the outside edge of side skin. They used a double sided foam tape to seal between the two. Inland Andy says that item is "no longer available. No wonder...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Loogootee , Indiana
That sounds about right. When I removed my water heater I found double sided foam tape. I was assuming that a previous owner had done all of this, but won't be too surprised to find out otherwise.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
You've got a 1973 Ambassador. Weren't we on the moon by then? Airstream made some bonehead moves, perhaps with some rationalization about the production line. I have a 1974 Argosy with the following problem. I've heard this about both Argosy & Airstream trailers for some years -- they would attach the lower belly wrap/banana wrap on the outside edge of side skin. They used a double sided foam tape to seal between the two. Inland Andy says that item is "no longer available. No wonder...
That is exactly what I found during repair of the floor in our Argosy. It looks almost like butyl tape on my trailer. Before replacing the belly wrap I ran a bead of Vulkem between the sheets. Should be real fun if I ever have to remove them again. George.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The opportunities for leaks on a coach this old are numerous! One of the easier ones -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...nts-24437.html. The rear frame & bumper tend to flex. The seal at the rear bumper always has been a weak design. Have an adult stand on the bumper and lightly hop up and down; look closely at the bumper shell interface for movement. That's a place to address. Also look at whether your window and door gaskets have ever been replaced. Plan on that if they're not resilient any more.

The wisest saying to come out of Welcome to the Frontpage - The Vintage Airstream Podcast is "They all leak."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
When to use Vulkem

Is there ever a condition in which one should NOT use Vulkem or other sealant? I've read a lot on the forums about replacing skin, using Vulkem on seams and replacement rivets (Olympics).

I've been looking closely at my 68 Trade Wind and noticing that some seams on the lower wrap curving under to the belly pan that there is a gap, no sealant, in overlapping panels. The seams open facing the rear, so they would not receive the force of water blowing in from the front.

I wonder if this is intentional, to encourage water to drain below the deck and out through the belly pan.

Of course, I could very well have a mess on my hands and just don't know it yet!

Anne

Quote:
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Hi, pnb77,

Welcome to another Hoosier. Well, I'm not really a Hoosier. I'm an Alabama transplant. But I am a Colts fan! I'm planning to have my Zip Dee awning replaced with royal blue and white. Do you tailgate in the Lilly RV lots?

Anne
Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
The belly pan definitely needs to breath. Water will get in there no matter what. Do not seal the belly pan area. Vulkem is trully amazing stuff. It actually does come off. Mineral spirits disolve it nicely, even long after it's dry. Where not to use it? Not sure, but I would have to say if you need to disassemble some thing frequently, I would use something else.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Loogootee , Indiana
So far I've used Vulkem and pop rivets on all of these seams, but it's covered by the lower molding. I'll get to try my hand at buck riveting once I get all of the parts I've ordered for re-building my overhead windows (I believe they are called Vista View windows?). Which brings me to another problem. I posted a thread about pre-shimmed butyl tape, only to find that the seller on ebay had made a mistake in his post. I tried to order one roll of the butyl tape and was rejected because his minimum order is 20! So, does anyone know where I might find a source for small quantities of the Tremco pre-shimmed butyl tape?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Except for the major shell seams many of the rivets are standard pop rivets. Be sure to get the ones with aluminum shafts. I did find the factory used some steel shaft pop rivets on the exterior of my Argosy. Grrr...

Major leaks can occur overhead at any penetration. These are very likely problem areas.

Shell leaks are harder to find. Find a dealer with Sealtech (pump air into the closed coach, coat the outside with soap solution and look for bubbles. Then the product used for leaky shell seams is Acryl-R. Research posts by 2airishuman to get some hints on use.

Wow -- the price for Sikaflex 221-G (gray matches aluminum nicely!) has really gone up. I like it better than Vulkem. It develops a dry skin within a couple hours. It's my favorite caulk.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Loogootee , Indiana
Progress

I managed to finish up all the lower seams last night. I used a tip I read earlier on the forum, to use blue painters tape to mask the area to be caulked, then remove tape after caulking. This worked out really nice! It did rain last night so I'll have a chance to see if the leaks are gone. If there is no sign of water then I'll be replacing the plywood floor with marine grade plywood. I'm really surprised at how simple this trailer has been to work on! As bad as they may seem, the problems I've ran into don't consume much time. Having a shop equipped for automotive work really helps!

IndyAnne: We haven't been able to do any camping yet, just bought our Airstream three weeks ago. My wife wasn't too happy when I pulled it in the driveway and immediately took out two windows, disassembled the bedroom, cut the floor out, and removed the bellypans. She was a little more understanding when she saw the condition of the floor under the bed and the new carpet and wood flooring I plan to install. So to answer your question, no we haven't been able to make to any rallies. It's nice to see another Hoosier as well as a Colts fan! When I do get to polishing I plan to mask and etch one or two small horshoes into the aluminum shell.

Thank you all for the tips and replies. This site has been extremely helpful so far and I see it as a great tool, foresight is much better than hindsight!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
I posted a thread about pre-shimmed butyl tape, only to find that the seller on ebay had made a mistake in his post. I tried to order one roll of the butyl tape and was rejected because his minimum order is 20! So, does anyone know where I might find a source for small quantities of the Tremco pre-shimmed butyl tape?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html

Try Zep's thread I think he has all your window problems answered here
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Loogootee , Indiana
"Zep"

I read that entire thread a few days ago. That's where I got the idea of the pre-shimmed butyl tape. It seems he had problems finding small quantities of it as well. An excellent thread and thanks for suggesting it.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #16
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Butyl Tape

I saw butyl tape on this site:

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Anne

Quote:
So far I've used Vulkem and pop rivets on all of these seams, but it's covered by the lower molding. I'll get to try my hand at buck riveting once I get all of the parts I've ordered for re-building my overhead windows (I believe they are called Vista View windows?). Which brings me to another problem. I posted a thread about pre-shimmed butyl tape, only to find that the seller on ebay had made a mistake in his post. I tried to order one roll of the butyl tape and was rejected because his minimum order is 20! So, does anyone know where I might find a source for small quantities of the Tremco pre-shimmed butyl tape?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Loogootee , Indiana
Butyl Tape

Thanks Anne, but the tape I'm looking for is 1/4" "pre-shimmed" butyl tape.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
The opportunities for leaks on a coach this old are numerous! One of the easier ones -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...nts-24437.html. The rear frame & bumper tend to flex. The seal at the rear bumper always has been a weak design. Have an adult stand on the bumper and lightly hop up and down; look closely at the bumper shell interface for movement. That's a place to address. Also look at whether your window and door gaskets have ever been replaced. Plan on that if they're not resilient any more.
Another important place to check is the skylight vents.

I look at heavy rainstorms as opportunities to check for leaks in our trailers. When I have time, I run out to the trailers during heavy rain to double check all vents, doors and windows for new leaks.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might try asking the supplier if he'll pass your number to one of his/her customers for a small quantity sale.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Loogootee , Indiana
Leaks

I had noticed the other night that there was still a few droplets running down the sides of the walls. This would probably be from the vents, would you suggest removing and replacing or to clean out the old sealant and reseal? I'm at a cross roads as far as what absolutely needs to be done and what I can get away with until fall/winter. My kids are beating on me to finish up so we can go camping but I'd much rather stay dry!!

Also, excellent idea to contact sources of butyl tape. I'll check in to that.

Once again, thanks for all the replies and suggestions.