Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Vero beaach , Florida
leaks and floor problems?

We currently own a 17' Casita which is all fiberglass. In 10 years we have never had a leak problem or flooring issue. In reading various items on the forum we see a lot about leaks and flooring problems on Airstreams. This has kept us from moving forward on a purchase. Can you give us some prospective on this problem.

If we are spending big bucks for an Airstream we do not want to pick up a problem that we have escaped with our Casita.

Thanks
Terry Lembec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well...With the many windows, vents, and roof penetrations, the many seams, and the thousands of rivets, an Airstream has a lot of opportunities to leak. In theory, they come out of the factory sealed up tight, but as seals dry out, sealant hardens, etc., etc., leaks can develop.

There is an extraordinary amount of discussion about leaks and rotting floors on these forums partially because there are so many vintage Airstream owners, and it is unrealistic to expect (most) any trailer that has been sitting around for 40 years not to have suffered. That being said, I have read accounts of more recent models having suffered leaks and floor damage as well.

Are Airstreams any more prone to leaks and rot than other "white box" trailers? Probably not. Are they going to be as low maintenance and robust as an all fiberglass unit? Probably not. I think of Airstreams as I would about exotic automobiles. A Jaguar/Mercedes/Audi may not be as reliable as a Toyota, but the decision to buy one instead means there are other aspects of the vehicle being considered besides reliability only.

Good luck with your decision!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Have you looked at Oliver Travel Trailers | Fiberglass Travel Trailers

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
I certainly understand your hesitation about spending money for a trailer that might leak. I presently have a leak under the dinette but am optomistic that as soon as it warms up----I will be able to seal it. Is it worth it??? Well, thanks a very personal and individual answer. For me, yes it is.

I wish you the best of luck and do know that if you do decide to purchase an AS---you won't be sorry. They are in a class unto themselves.

Wishing you the best.

KDS
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My 1999 had a leak.. I got help here and fixed it. over 10k miles ago...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
AS vs Casita

No risk, No reward.

Know risk. Know reward.

Amen!!
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I was going to buy a Casita and had the same concerns. Bought an old leaky Airstream instead.
It doesn't leak anymore and we couldn't be happier. As with all RV's, there will ALWAYS be something to fix, oil, clean and polish. I would rather bust a knuckle on an Airstream.
Clayton
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...was at Big Bend National Park 2 years ago in my Airstream. Met a really nice guy from Iowa who was full-timing in his Casita (!) Struck up a conversation with him about how he did it, and his comment was, "it'd be a lot better if I didn't have a leaky water tank." I looked at the rear of his trailer, and sure enough...drip, drip, drip. It also looked like it was not going to be easy to get to it. Sound familiar?
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lembec View Post
We currently own a 17' Casita which is all fiberglass. In 10 years we have never had a leak problem or flooring issue. In reading various items on the forum we see a lot about leaks and flooring problems on Airstreams. This has kept us from moving forward on a purchase. Can you give us some prospective on this problem.

If we are spending big bucks for an Airstream we do not want to pick up a problem that we have escaped with our Casita.

Thanks
My trailer is a 2006. As far as I can tell it has never had any leaks. All the areas that I can get to seem to be in almost as new condition. No rot, no water marks and no strange moldy smells.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Vero beaach , Florida
Thanks!

Some great input and lots to think about. One thing stands out-AS folks are very helpful. I am impressed. The As community is a lucky strike extra benefit if we buy one.

Thanks again.
Terry
Terry Lembec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We moved from a 2009 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe to a 2008 Classic 25FB. I researched a lot and asked questions. Read the posts on hail damage, rotting floors, leaking etc. When we found ours (March, 2013) it had been lightly used and figured it would be almost problem free. We've had various nuisance problems with it that I've been able to fix myself and luckily so far no leaks and the subfloor shows no signs of water infiltration. We do pay for covered storage. We enjoy the extra space of our 25fb which is not too big and not too small.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
I think its a lot about maintenance, You are looking a forum where most people are heavily into repairs and restorations. The ones who have happy dry rigs aren't on here complaining, they're either in the woods camping or on the road on their way to somewhere cool like we all should be... It's the squeaky wheel that gets noticed, the quite ones disappear into the woodwork, or in this case woods...

If and when you get in to the market to buy make sure you purchase a moisture meter and know how to use it. There are leak free trailers out there but they usually are the ones with meticulous maintenance owners. I purchased one that I knew had leaks and I've got it over three quarters of the way leak free, I am working my way inch by inch along to ensure it is completely leak free before I reinstall her interior walls. I can tell you it has been hard work at times but the most happy and fulfilling year of my life to
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote