Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Leaks

I'm working on restoring a 1966 Safari. Lots of fun so far. I need help finding leaks. There is a leak on the floor on both side of the door. Also there is a wet floor in the front corner on the curb side of the unit. The soft spot by the door seems to be common. Anyone knoe the reason for the leaks in this area?
Thanks Bob
Bob Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Bob,
My unit is a lot newer than yours but I will give you a couple of places to start, look for missing rivets, missing caulk around the top of the windows, with an AS the water gets in and follows the shell down to the floor. I have one persistent leak that I may have to pull an interior panel to find. What you can do is pull the panels loose at the bottom and have somone start spraying water at the bottom of the unit on the outside and work their way up until the leak starts to show then you will have an idea of where to look. Just a few ideas to get you started!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:05 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Bob,

In the mid 60's there was no frame over the skin surrounding the door. It is a nice smooth look, but the door seal is the ONLY thing that is going to stop water from getting in. Newer models have a rain gutter on top, as well as a frame to help to divert the water. New seals should take care of the issue. If the floor is not too far gone some rot doctor shoudl fix it and save you from having to do a ton of tear out.

I would check the vulcem over both of the curb side windows. The soft spot further forward may be from the door leak as well. If the vulcem is cracked or gone I would start there to fix this one. Also check the awning rail or any awning mount points high on the trailer. If silicone was used it has failed and will need to be replaced with vulcem. Chasing leaks can be a challenege, but it is satifying when you get one fixed.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the help. I already have cut out a large section of flooring and when it rained last night I could see that the leaks are comming fron betwwn the skins not through the door weatherstripping. I'm going to look hard at the seams above the rain gutter above the door, and the roof vents. Which brings me to another question. How does one work on the top of an Airstream without denting the roof?

Thanks again,
Bob
Bob Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:23 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ward
Which brings me to another question. How does one work on the top of an Airstream without denting the roof?
Thanks again,
Bob
The roof will support you quite handily. Wear soft shoes and stay on the rivet lines on the linear portion of the roof. Stay off the end caps ... they dent easily and are sure to result in a fall.

Resting a padded ladder on the awning is a good way to get up there.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote