Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Leaking outside lights

Hi, our '04 Safari seems to always have condensation inside the outside lights- position lights, tail lights, and "patio" light.

Yesterday I pulled the cover on the patio light (I think the brand on the light is "Trucklites" or something like that). Anyway, the gasket on the lens is worthless.

Can anyone recommend some non-hardening or non-curing gasket material. I'd like to keep water out, but be able to remove the lens to replace the bulb if necessary.

Thanks!

Don
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just started experimenting with this. My first try is some left over EPDM rubber roof material from a re-roof on my old SOB some years back. So far, no moisture, but it's only been 3 weeks. We have had quite a bit of rain though.

I used the old foam gaskets as a pattern and cut the new ones just a tiny bit larger. I know some others have tried old inner tubes. I like the EPDM because it's white on one side and reflects light really well, making the whole marker kind of glow.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

DJW

Are yours the teardrop?

Post 10 in this thread....Ours would fill right up in a good downpour. Lower street-side rear especially. (roof drains right over it). Most of the others will get condensation but will usually evaporate in the sun.

I did notice on two of the lens' what appeared to a drain cut-out in the small end bottom edge of the teardrop. Have no idea why just two . Water was running around the base and entering there. I closed it with epoxy and filed it smooth, so far so good.
If it works I'll do the others in the Spring.

Bob
Old 06-18-2020, 07:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Hanahan , South Carolina
Is cutting old inner tube still the best plan for leaky lights?

I was thinking of sealing them with clear silicone. I think I could still remove them by cutting it with a razor blade when the time came..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
DJW

Are yours the teardrop?

Post 10 in this thread....Ours would fill right up in a good downpour. Lower street-side rear especially. (roof drains right over it). Most of the others will get condensation but will usually evaporate in the sun.

I did notice on two of the lens' what appeared to a drain cut-out in the small end bottom edge of the teardrop. Have no idea why just two . Water was running around the base and entering there. I closed it with epoxy and filed it smooth, so far so good.
If it works I'll do the others in the Spring.

Bob
Planenut is offline   Reply With Quote