Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Chaska , Minnesota
Leak test/Seal Cost

Howdy folks. I have a '73 AS that I've been working on for the last year. All is well...except for a leak I can't track down. If the AS is perfectly level I get water out of both the front and the back on the road side top seam. I've sealed up just about every place o can, and it still leaks!

In a heavy rain the water will come through with a consistent drop, so it definitely needs to be addressed.

Anyone out there with a rough cost of a leak test and seal job done by a AS dealer? I hesitate because of the cost, but also want this leak fixed!

Thanks,
Margesbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Had a SealTech (sp?) test done at a dealer last winter. I don't have my receipt handy but I think it was 250 for the test, 250 or 300 for applying sealant.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I had a similar issue with my 77 Sovereign. The leak was right around the area of the furnace. Sometimes it would leak profusely, other times not at all. I checked everything and everywhere... so I thought. I finally bought a small locking suction cup which I put over each and every rivet. If it locked down and held tight, the rivet was OK. If it wouldn't hold, I Captain Tolley Creeping Crack sealed it. I found one rivet that upon visual inspection looked fine, but the suction cup wouldn't hold on it. That one rivet drove me mad for too long. Problem solved. Don't expect the leak to be obvious.

You can get the suction cups on Amazon. A pair of them was only about $8. Great investment... if you have rivets... and an Airstream.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
pressure leak testing question

hi folks, i'm gonna bite the bullet and have a pressure test, seems like a great time saver in finding my leak. I've reached out to two airstream restorers, one can do for $350.00, the other is against pressure testing ...said that too much pressure could loosen rivets and cause more leaks.

any thoughts here ? thanks
nick
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Blah, blah, blah. Done with the correct pressure won't hurt ANYTHING!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
hi folks, i'm gonna bite the bullet and have a pressure test, seems like a great time saver in finding my leak. I've reached out to two airstream restorers, one can do for $350.00, the other is against pressure testing ...said that too much pressure could loosen rivets and cause more leaks.

any thoughts here ? thanks

nick

Most people just use a squirrel cage fan, like an air-mover to create the "pressure". It isn't like you are using a giant compressor pump and bringing your shell up to 100psi.

If you are worried about it, just ask the tester what they use to move the air. If it is some kind of fan, then I can't imagine it doing any harm. If they have something that actually pumps, then I would be cautious.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Just a quick follow up, total waste of time and money still drips and damp in the same places
Old 01-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Some town , Tennessee
Suction cups for dent removal tool work well for any exterior items if your doing a restoration I suggest a 50 dollar fun time grab a fog machine and fluid fill the trailer and sit back with a beer and watch for a while.
Twinkie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie59 View Post
Suction cups for dent removal tool work well for any exterior items if your doing a restoration I suggest a 50 dollar fun time grab a fog machine and fluid fill the trailer and sit back with a beer and watch for a while.