Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 06:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
leak suggestions

Hi, we picked up a used 2016 19ft flying cloud in May. Got heavy rains this week and water is coming in from a rivet above door and the seam above the sink. I did add solar and had to mount them with screws, but I heavily dosed f Silkaflex 221 all over the feet of solar mounts.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look for on on roof for leaks? where the water is coming in to the cabin is clearly not where the actual leak is. Also, the roof is only flat for a short distance and then curves. So it can't be leaking from the curved part of roof, right? I don't see any place on the roof where water is puddling up.

Any tips or ideas on what I should be looking for and where to put more Silkaflex would be greatly appreciated.
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Jsmall01, read " sealants summary thread " https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...116214-14.html
and references to Tolley's. I understand is best for rivets and seams as it not topical but is absorbed (wrong word)...drawn into seams etc.

Chasing a leak is crap shoot without a verified target. 221 is the best but is best for penetrations and roof vs vertical seams. Leaks remind me of the Nicholson line in Chinatown. Loosely quoted...forget it jake, it' Chinatown...meaning it's not what it seems. My leak by the closet actually came from a near by....sorta... via rib to the wall from a crack in the fantastic vent base flange. I never saw a drop, but felt the soft spot and started to poke around. I was lucky,noticed a very small crack on the corner. 221'd it, pulled the inside flange of the FV, saw the evidence and knew i had found the leak. BTW, FV replaced the entire unit under 7 year warranty. Crack likely over torquing at mfr.

I was lucky as i found the exterior indicator and that pointed to the interior spot. Screw penetration for solar...could be dripping along a rib from anywhere.

IMO, i would call bay area Airstreams,Cordelia @ I80 in Solano county. I have heard the have pressure testing capabilities for leak locating.

Good luck.
P.s...curved seams can and do leak.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Use a level on the inside skin where the water is dripping then identify all possible leak spots that are most directly uphill from the leak spot. Use painters tape to temporarily seal those possible leak spots and then shower the the trailer roof with a spray nozzle or sprinkler. If it still leaks, tape up some more spots until it no longer leaks. Start removing tape until the leak returns. Then you will know what to seal. Repeat until all tape is removed and there is no leak.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
has anyone had a water leak from around the TV antenna. Also I see on the roof some rivets or screw heads (Not sure what to call them) they are white. is it possible that water is entering through those?
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote