Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Is God mad at me?

When you have tried everything else. Take it to your nearest RV shop. You will find overtime they will become one of your best friends!

Lee Pace
72 Overlander
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway
The leak in my Excella was so far from the vent that I was convinced the issue could not be cause by a bad vent gasket. But I had calked everywhere and figured what did I have to loose. Replacing the gasket was easy and now the leak has stopped.
Some of my caulk work was a bit sloppy. I think I will redo some of my work this spring and use a “Caulking Syringe” to put a finer point on my work.
Using a syringe to install sealer, is not necessary.

No dealer that I know of uses them, and for that matter, neither does Airstream.

For large seams use Vulkem sealer. You cannot use that material in a syringe.

For small seams use Par-Bond. You can squeeze the tip down to any diameter you wish, and still do a very neat job. That's the same as using a syringe, without the hassle of transfering the Par-Bond, along with no cleanup.

The secret to making sealers do their job, is to install it on a "chemically clean" surface. If you have a seam that had "silicone sealer" installed on it, then that changes the whole ball game to something unpleasant.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
You might want to replace your black pipe vent gaskets . Notorious for leaking.
Replace every few years.
I also found one of my fantastic fan vents were warped, not contacting the seal. The vent lid would rest against tv antennae .Fantastic fan being the fantastic company they are, sent me a new
one for free!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Speak more loudly, Haym (I'm going to tease you) as the OP hasn't been here in about four years.

That aside, it's a good addition to the thread. Someone else will benefit as was your intention. (And I've dug up some oldies as well. Wish that others would also instead of re-inventing the wheel with the same questions every time).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Impossible

If you have something that moves, it is practicably impossible to make a permanent seal, (without making it ugly) so be prepared to do these repairs over, and over, and over again.

On the metal units, you also have to deal with excessive expansion and shrinkable due to temperature. So as soon as your caulk begins to loose its elasticity, the joint opens up for moisture to enter.

RV ownership is a commitment to a continuing maintenance program by you (preferably) or by a qualified technician that takes pride in his work and knows you will be back for warranty if it is not right.

But it is the satisfaction of success and the joy of hitting the road that make RV ownership so wonderful.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Is God mad at me?[QUOTE=frank n'shar;319555]

Yes, I think so. He/she gets very easily angered, as I've noticed from being somewhat observant and following the news. Seems to have no favorites, wreaks havoc on the lives of believers and heathens alike. You're lucky to have gotten off with only a leak in your travel trailer!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Wonder what ever happened with his leaky trailer?

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
For floor protection and repair, here's some useful information on penetrating epoxies.

Penetrating Epoxies and Epoxy Sealer - The Real Story! - Test Results
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
MY heart goes out to you!! I also have a roof water leak. I'm trying to find it also. Like myself, You might have to go to cam-am rv to have leaks checked and repaired with the 430r seal-tech machine. If all else fails get it fixed by the professionals. They have the necessary equipment to diagnos these problems.
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Acryl-R Seam Sealer by Schnee-Moorehead, Inc, is another weapon you need in your leak battles. I think this is the stuff Airstream uses to seal seams.

I had a leak causing a wet floor at my curb side storage compartment, left side as you open the door. Like Becky said, soft plywood, ugh. So I ran my leak detector test. I rigged a garden hose with shower spray clamped to my step ladder and started squirting the compartment door. 30 minutes of water flow and no leak. Then I went 2 feet higher and repeated the test, no leak. Then I went to the bedroom window, sprayed for 30 minutes, still no leak. So I set up and sprayed above the bedroom window, but below the awning mount, no leak. Next spot I showered with water was the area above the awning and their she was. Water started coming in on the floor.

I used the Acryl-R and sealed the seams where the rear end cap sheets join the roof and side skins. I also sealed the vertical seams all the way down past the window. Acryl-R is a "thin" caulk that tends to run into the seam. The application tip is very small, and you can "squirt" it into the seam.

I won this small battle in the leak war. There are Airstreams that leak, and Airstreams that are gonna leak soon. It's part of the "fun" of owning one. Something to talk about on the caravan.

Add Acryl-R to your weapons stockpile. I got mine at the Airstream store.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The awning fabric was removed from my trailer when I bought it, and after I removed the roller, I found 5 missing rivets. The open holes were hidden by the roller.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
No excuse for missing rivets - hidden as well ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote