Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Interior Question Concerning Exterior Leak

I'm looking for advice on sealing a dream on the inside of the 92 Excella in rebuilding. The good news is I've found very few leaks and I've solved almost all of the ones I found. There is one that's a bit persistent so it's time to ask for help.

The leak is coming from the seam on the curbside of the front dome. I've sealed the deal from the outside using Aluminum Parbond. I've used it very successfully for several small leaks. In this case, since using the Parbond on the outside seam, the leak only seems to occur during heavy rain. For instance we just had about 4.5 inches over a two day period. It produced a miniscule amount off water, but I'll feel better when there is none.

There is a knife blade thin gap on the inside seam where I believe the leak originates. I'm wondering if there is a syringe injection sealant out there?

Obviously, I'm a bit anal, but I'd love hearing suggestions concerning products, techniques, etc, and what other restorers have done.

The leak seems to originate inside the seam between rivers 19 and 20 in the third picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201117_164637204.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	383418Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201117_164616647.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	383419Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201117_164608826.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	383420
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I assume you dug out the old caulk both inside and outside as much as possible before applying the parbond?
I have always seen the interior seems slathered in Vulkem or Sikaflex.
Did you try Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure? You could put some of this on all the exterior rivets in this area and along the seam.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would also try Captain Tolleys. Apply it over and over until it quits disappearing in the seam. After it stops, I would put Parabond on the seam. For places like that, I put a tiny bead on the seam and immediately wipe it with a mineral spirits soaked cloth. You will push some Parabond in the seam while wiping off the excess for a clean look.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I assume you dug out the old caulk both inside and outside as much as possible before applying the parbond?
I have always seen the interior seems slathered in Vulkem or Sikaflex.
Did you try Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure? You could put some of this on all the exterior rivets in this area and along the seam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I would also try Captain Tolleys. Apply it over and over until it quits disappearing in the seam. After it stops, I would put Parabond on the seam. For places like that, I put a tiny bead on the seam and immediately wipe it with a mineral spirits soaked cloth. You will push some Parabond in the seam while wiping off the excess for a clean look.

Thanks folks,
Captain Tolley's! Pretty sure I've heard of this through the forums before, but it had completely left my head. Which makes sense, because it actually seems to have more leaks than the Excella.

Anyway, yes I did dig out all of the caulk from both sides before I did the Parbond on the exterior. I'm re-caulking the interior seams, rivets and windows (as AS did) as I confirm they are fine. I'll look up Captain Tolley's and order some today. I like the mineral spirit idea also. It's what I've been using to clean up anyway.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote