Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
Idea for leak detection and a "cure" ?

I've read many posts on leaks always being an issue, and also on condensation and the need for insulation to breathe and not retain moisture and mold.
I have a 2 step idea:
I see there are 12 volt moisture sensors for alarm type uses for sale at $20 or less, same as in a sump-pump warning, or in an A/C or dehumidifier drip pan. What if I mounted several in the floor c- channels and made a control panel to either sound an alarm or light an LED for the respective sensor to indicate a new leak or excessive condensation in the walls ?
Then for when/if the sensors sound the alarm:
Mount several small DC computer fans in inconspicuous places penetrating the inside skin only, and near the bottom of the walls in hopefully every section also install breather holes ( I have found some stainless ringed screens about 5/8" dia.) These breathers and fans could be sealed until this step, The fans could have a reversible polarity switch to either positively or negatively ventilate your your walls to let them dry out, or to even do some bubble type leak testing outside to fix the problem. There are also greenhouses that positively ventilate between 2 poly film layers to markedly increase the R-Value (this is a huge maybe for the AS though, really more for water issues than insulation increase )
Does this system sound feasible?
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Don't see why.....

.....it wouldn't work, but it might be much more difficult unless your already deconstructed for re-hab.

I try to keep ahead of it with this....

Bob
Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I use the same meter as shown by Bob, inspect the inside perimeter of the trailer quarterly by probing through the vinyl floor. Very simple to use.

It's already paid off on our new trailer, found wet plywood underfloor below a slightly loose entrance door hinge. Without the meter would not have known the leak was there, no other indication.

It should be part of a standard Airstream tool kit.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
Once again, there truly is nothing new under the sun, where did you guys get the meter from and who makes it ?
My plan was to custom build something like that into my AS which yes, is post-shell off and is methodically being re-assembled. My interior skins are still off, so now is the time if I do permanent sensors. Are your sensors able to read moisture within the walls themselves ? Once you've detected a leak is there a system in place to dry it out or do you figure the leak is somewhere "north" and start looking ?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

I got our's at Amazon....not sure if this is the same vender, but it's about 8bucks cheeper.

Bob
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I just bought one. Thanks for the info and link!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumascoupe View Post
.......... Once you've detected a leak is there a system in place to dry it out or do you figure the leak is somewhere "north" and start looking ?
My "one-time-only" drying method...

POI....it took over three days for the 3/4" plywood floor to dry completely, compartment temps well above 100* with door closed and fan running. Used the same method for the side storage compartments.

It was easier for me to make sure all leaks were repaired before installing the new modular tiles.
It's now possible to access the plywood thru the tiles for quick checks and/or to empty the trunk/compartments for a more thorough inspection.

Bob
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
So, as far as anyone knows, has anybody ever successfully created a method to detect and cure leaks inside the walls ? Are all the current detection devices only active/used after a leak is found manually i.e. wet socks etc. ? Does my plan sound feasible ?