Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
??? How To: Remove Black Tar / Re-Seal ???

I am in the middle of rebuilding my 73 Sov and have a noticed a number of areas in the trailer that take in water when it rains.

The roof is covered at most all openings(vents, ac, antenna....)with a black tar looking stuff that is all dried and cracked up, and most windows around the trailer have been hit with silicone.

Ive seen that there are a number of options out there for removing silicone, and I'm assuming that after a bit of reading that temro 635 would be a good choice to reseal with.

Im sure there are several threads where this is covered, but I was hoping to get all the information in one spot. Anyone ever thought of making a sticky like in other forums, or a FAQ at the top that organizes the mass of questions and information covered here?
TxBxSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Use some sort of solvent such as mineral spirits. If that does not work try something like Gumout Carb Cleaner and then Kleen Kutter gel paint remover. A heat gun might work as well. Just don't try them both at the same time or boom.

Yes get the surface clean and use Trempro-635 to reseal it.

Perry

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
The vibrating/oscillating cutting tools have a scraping blade that does wonders on getting thick glop off. They can scratch so I wouldn't use it on the sides, but they won't cut the metal. I have cleaned black roofing tar on the metal roof of our shop building and also the tempro sealant on the roof of our airstream when resealing around the fantastic fans. Harbor freight has a cheap one. I haven't tried theirs though. Dremel, Bosch, and Fein are major brand names. Fein is the best but quite expensive.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
Redding , Connecticut
Just saw this and wanted to offer another option. Eastwood, the auto restoration supply company, has a spray tar and undercoat remover that I feel works better than anything I have used.
rdg51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
The only thing I have found that works is MEK. I use a spray bottle and spray it on several times and wipe off with towel. It sometimes takes several passes and if it really thick i uses a razor blade to skim it off with after the MEK takes effect. Yes MEK is nasty stuff but the black tar is worse than MEK in the long run. I believe that a lot of the negative smell comes from when the tar get wet and when it heats up on a hot day... I would get rid of all the tar that you can!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
I've had good luck using diesel fuel in a spray bottle. One could also use kerosene.
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I'm having really good luck with Citrastrip , cover with plastic overnight and wipe away.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I use WD40. Cuts through the Texas and Louisiana pretty easy.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote