Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
kootenays , BC
help with leaky roof!!

Thanks in advance everyone for any advice on this, my '64 safari is renovated, the exterior completed and beautiful. It is leaking though, in a few spots, a lot.
What can I use to fix this? Can anyone suggest the a sealant for this problem?
THANKS!!
fancy pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
My 1974 had vents for the holding tanks (grey and black water) that were leaking into the trailer. The rubber seals were defective. I'm not sure about the '64. Do you have a TV antenna on the roof? I used Vulkam to seal around any defects. After the rivet and seams are cleaned,they can be sealed with Acylar(sp?) used in a small squirt/pump can. Airstream dealers have these products. Check the trim around the trailer. Have pop rivets been used? They don't seal out water well.
JimWeilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Kool Seal

Seal up all vents and skylights with vulkem and then paint the top with Kool Seal white elastomaric paint (2 coats). Be sure to use an aluminum primer first. Tape off the sides and use a roller with an extension. By the time you've finished from one end to the other, you can apply the second coat.

It will seal up all the rivets that have become loose. Best thing I've ever done for leaks.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
kootenays , BC
will the cool seal elastomaric paint and aluminum primer affect future polishing?
fancy pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
If you're planning on polishing the roof, I wouldn't paint it with Kool Seal.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Pizzachop,
Di you have as dramatic an affect as I have heard with keeping your unit cool with the white top? I have been considering the same treatment. I expect the sides can be polished and still have a dramatic impact whill staying a bit cooler and drier.
Fancypants, I had attacked every potential leaky seam with a vengance and still took on water. Biggest culprte seems to be windows. Recently I had the sides open just one notch and went through a significant rain. Darn thing was dry. Aparantly water had leaked through the windows when closed and subsequently into the trailer. With the windows open the water sheaded neatly outboard. No, leaving the windows open was not my aolution, just a confirmation that they were at the top of the failure list

Best of luck finding the elusive leaks.
rob n terry
Old 05-21-2007, 04:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpray
...Fancypants, I had attacked every potential leaky seam with a vengance and still took on water. Biggest culprite seems to be windows. ...rob n terry
I finally got peeved with Vista View windows, due to leaks, and took them out. Aerowood came down and helped me buck the rivets just yesterday, so I'll be cleaning up and polishing a little before I take final photos and finish the thread, but you can see my solution to some of my window leaks here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ews-32184.html

Zep
Old 05-21-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
If you're going to pollish, I would use Alcoa on every seam in the end cap. All of my trailers leaked there. On my little 59, i replaced every single skin panel except the end caps, and still had leaks. I even sealed the end caps from the inside, and STILL had leaks... so... up on the ladder, and seal every seam, especially the flat ones on the roof. NO leaks now! One little tip i figured out in short order... if you plan on polishing, and you polish the seam BEFORE puting the alcoa on, it will peel right off the polished edge, and stay in the cracks. otherwise, you need to tape it pretty well.

good luck!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote