Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
HELP! Water leak In 2005 Safari 28W Coming from behind shower?

Greeting from California,

It's sunny here, but wet! Our 2005 Safari 28W is wet, that is.
Just brought it home from Toscano RV where they removed the
on-demand water heater from behind the shower. It had sprung a leak
on our first trip, so we said, no more. They re-positioned the water pump and put in a softer line to minimize the noise. It's still under the frig. No water noted there.
This am., friends who had spent the night and used the water pump to use the commode, woke up to wet carpet in the corner of the bedroom, street side next to the wall, to the left of the shower. There was quite a bit of water leaking onto our patio near the dump valve, as well.
Any suggestions on how to address this? We're leaving for No. ca. on Friday,
and ofcourse, no one can get to this and we are willing to do all we can when my hubby and son put their heads together to fix it.
I was out un-screwing panels and looking here and there...having trouble getting into area under closet.
Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Signed,

Shirley* and Earl*

*Who are tired of getting wet!
Shirley C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #2

Currently Looking...
Broken Bow , Oklahoma
I have the same problem

I also have a 2005 safari 28 wb. It has a problem that sounds identical to yours, except that it has no on demand water heater that I know of. Did you ever find the source and cure for your leak that caused the wet carpet?

I've been having the same problem, off and on, for 6 to 8 months. I've taken off panels, removed the wall between shower and bedroom, tried highly and lower water pressure, calling Airstream for more ideas, etc. I still have wet carpet quite often, but not all the time. I have never found the first drop of water leaking anywhere except when it shows up on the carpet.

Any help will be appreciated!
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Pinole , California
Good morning, we solved the problem...first off, the on-demand water heater was removed (it had been installed incorrectly) secondly, when they removed it they had to replace the lines and they did that incorrectly (whoops)! Thirdly, an elbow connector behind the pump blew and had to be replaced...our problem was solved. Hope you find the source....it may be in the elbow area?
Wishing you the best of luck! It's no fun to wake up to wet feet!!
Shirley C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Anytime you have a mysterious leak, be sure to check the Shurflo city water inlet regulator/fitting. The body is plastic, it has O rings, and it can leak. Especially if water pressure is high due to water heater pressure spikes due to expansion.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Broken Bow , Oklahoma
I spent a few hours on the bedroom floor with a flashlight looking for a leak there last fall. I had the partition wall out that separates the bedroom from the shower. This allowed my to clearly see the backside of the city water connection as well as most of the plumbing within about four feet of the place the carpet would get wet. I could no sign whatsoever of water, and during the inspection the carpet remained dry, as did the dust under the shower and over the wheelwell. I probably spent 10 hours looking over a period of a week and never did see a leak or wet carpet.

From what I read on this forum, I've begun to lean toward the possibility that it's a roof vent seeping during a rain, and showing up later in the carpet. I've tried spraying the coach with a water hose, but have not been able to reproduce a leak. I do seem to think that the wet carpet shows up more often after a prolonged rain, but my notes don't always show a correlation between rain and leak.

It has been raining for over 24 hours now, and the carpet is wet in an area a little smaller than my hand. I keep the trailer under an RV shed when at home, but of course it is exposed to rain when I'm in it, such as today.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can I check the integrity of the city water connection from outside? I wasn't able to see any indication of it leaking on the inside when I had that wall out.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Broken Bow , Oklahoma
I'm still as confused as ever and the leak is still there. The carpet is damp next to the street wall on the bedroom side of the partition at this moment. The trailer has not been hooked to city water all day, but is running off the 12V water pump from the fresh water tank. Yesterday it was hooked to city water, and leaked then too. It has not rained in over a week. Any suggestions are welcome....
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'm just throwing this out because it happened to me-
Check the city water inlet fixture. Mine leaked but only when the water heater cycled and the pressure in the system spiked. I solved the problem by installing an accumulator tank to minimize pressure surges. The inlet fixture was OK, but I did cinch up the screws on the back side (they hold in plastic so be gentle). It leaked whether city water was hooked up or not-just when water heater cycled.

My leak was visible under the trailer, not inside, but I can see in some installations where it would run on the floor or carpet.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Broken Bow , Oklahoma
It was a couple of years before I had a chance to use the trailer again. In the meantime, I changed the Shurflo water inlet as you suggested and the leak has never appeared again. Thank you for the advice, tpi!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
San Luis Obispo , California
My 08 28 ft Safari SE left rear quarter floor is sopping wet.

I had not used the trailer for a few months, but today when I started out on a trip I noticed the wet floor in the left rear quarter. It had not been hooked up to water during this time. We just had some rain, so I thought that there must be a leak from the outside. But after reading about some seemingly similar problems, perhaps it is an internal one. The city water hookup valve seems to be farther forward than the wet floor. Any suggestions. Thanks
flyingfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Bathroom leak?.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finmatt View Post
I had not used the trailer for a few months, but today when I started out on a trip I noticed the wet floor in the left rear quarter. It had not been hooked up to water during this time. We just had some rain, so I thought that there must be a leak from the outside. But after reading about some seemingly similar problems, perhaps it is an internal one. The city water hookup valve seems to be farther forward than the wet floor. Any suggestions. Thanks
Not sure how much different yours is..... but we had a leak just behind the shower blend valve that soaked the bathroom floor. Turned out the cold water supply line to the valve was too short, separated at the plastic fitting.
A flexible toilet supply line was an emergency, temporary fix thats still working fine six years later.

Also a leak under the bathroom sink, that exited at the rear of the street-side wheelhouse.
Again a plastic failure...cross-threaded line fitting had cracked. Photo...

BTW...Welcome Aboard!!!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water leak 002.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	175598