Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
Getting thin caulk lines

I figured out a way to seal up the seams without creating more work for myself. I used a child's dosage syringe filled with caulking. You have to refill it several times but it does give a nice thin line for all the seams and around the windows.

Now I do have a question dealing with the windows. What sealant should I use to reseal on the outside of the glass? Looks like it was done with white silicone before but it is coming off and I need to reseal between the glass and frame. Would the self leveling stuff work or is there sometime else that should be used?
SlvrTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
You can get windshield silicone at an auto parts store. It is very thin and wicks in voids. The bead dries almost flat.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
You can get windshield silicone at an auto parts store. It is very thin and wicks in voids. The bead dries almost flat.
Did not know we could use that, but makes sense though. I was doing the overlap seams a little bit ago today and seen I need to redo the seals around the glass and just didn't know what I should use. I have some stuff called OSI QUAD (in grey). It is a silane modified polymer and self leveling. I was thinking I might be able to use it since it is for windows and siding.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Dow Corning CCW is a good product for glass to aluminum. This is used in commercial curtainwall and window wall systems. Dow Corning 795 would work too and has more structural properties.

Make sure the give the area a good cleaning using ISO alcohol first after scrapping out the old material and don't leave any flaps or tails hanging around which will affect the quality of bond.

Use masking tape so you can keep your lines straight and clean.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
Good to know. I plan on cleaning the window first any way do to polish residue and splatter on them. When I do reseal them (here real soon after I finish the polishing) I will be using my granddaughters old medicine dosage syringe to get those fine neat lines without having to use tape.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I have read in the past that silicon based sealants should not be used on the outside of any rv because they require physical removal before they can be sealed again.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We have used The Captain for years to seal all narrow gap seams, windows, rivets and panel lines. Nice Plus...it dries clear. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3DACACFC-B300-435C-9705-B61050624B78.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	392164  
Old 04-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #8
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If you have a farm store nearby, you can buy some large plastic disposable syringes. I use them all the time when working on my coach to inject sealant into places which would be impossible to get it otherwise. Much better than putting it on the surface and hoping it can be pushed into the crack.

When I buy the syringes I get a pack fairly large bore needles to go with them, and then I use a metal file to remove the (very) sharp point and put on a smooth & blunt tip. The needles I find work best are the ones with a bore about the size of a piece of thin spaghetti.

Takes a bit of strength if the sealant is cold, but it works easily on warmer days.
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Get a roll of blue tape. Tapes off both sides of the calk line with only a thin gap between the tape. Then calk...run your finger along the line pressing the calk into the gap. Move quickly, it sets faster than you think. Once you have pressed/smeared the calk into the gap, pull the tape. You will have a perfect calk line!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
tape and a plastic spoon works pretty good too