When I bought my 71 Sovereign
, one of the previous owners had 'sealed' some of the windows with silicone. It didn't work well, it looked horrible, and as we all know isn't the right tool for the job.
I tried looking for other how-to articles of this type and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, mostly just text of scrape this, apply that. Hopefully somebody finds this useful and it gets them motivated to repair their own.
It took me the better part of a month of scraping and scrubbing to get it all off.
Good, bad, or ugly the only tools I used for cleaning was
a plastic chisel set from Harbor Freight
00 and 0000 Steel wool
A dental pick
Wipe with steel wool and acetone, then scrape with a chisel.
Continue that cycle until you can no longer scrap anything with the chisel.
Then move on to scrubbing with steel wool soaked acetone, and I used my thumbnail to get small spots off.
Eventually it all got cleaned.
If you clean using this method, it will get messy.
I probably should have worn gloves and found something else to use in the tight spaces.
For applying the sealant, the only tools used were
1" painters tape
3/16" pinstripe (gold in color, makes no difference)
I preferred the screw on needle type, my wife liked the press on needle type
We applied the sealant on a sunny day, about 73f outside with almost no wind. Working next to the Airstream, I got a nice sunburn... the heat is also why the tape was pulled off quickly. I wish I had a shady spot. But I think under trees would have been a mistake, as when the wind blew the next day I got bugs and debris blown into the Trempro.
I was sure that I was going to make a mess when I applied the Trempro, so I went back and taped off the window frames and used some cheap pin striping from the auto parts store.. I left about a 1/4" gap between the window frame and the tape line.
This is the front window cluster, it has a small dent at the leading edge of the lower window frame, so the tape lines weren't perfect.
This is that same area after applying Trempro and then peeling off the tape, the dent is barely visible.
Other window frames and sealant.
Curbside Vista View Window
The leading edge of the front set of windows from the street side cluster.
Up close, in between the windows.
I may have been able to do this without tape, but the tape was less than $10 and allowed us to be less than perfect and minimized cleanup time. Well worth it to me.
I still have to do the front and rear windows as well as the access door hatches.