Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Scottsdale , Arizona
Driver side water leak ....

Hello Fellow Friends,
We are enjoying our 5th summer of traveling in our 2007 safari 25fb special edition however we have noticed a new leak and have chased it around much of the day to rule out the obvious. Hereís where we are and what we have done.

The leak pools on the low part of the driver side of the trailer so we have emptied all tanks turned off water unhooked from city connection and let dry out first 3+ hours before re-engaging the city water hook up connection and filling the tanks with water black and gray tanks. I re leveled the trailer and I believe I have it in a near perfect level position, the water has now moved and pools directly above the gray water release valve. I have taken off the access panel to the shower and all the shower related plumbing is dry we have now ruled that out. I have unscrewed the outdoor utility shower compartment however I cannot get the compartment to come out of the trailer to look behind the utility shower compartment? Any suggestions there? I am afraid if I pull too hard I will break it. It does not matter whether the tanks are empty or contain fluid the leak appears, the leak only disappears when the obvious you turn off the city water connection and unhook. Iím wondering if this is a trip to the Airstream service repair department? For anyone who has experienced the same problem I would love to hear any ideas and suggestions that you may have thank you.
Alumiduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Scottsdale , Arizona
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2741.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	341942
Old 05-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Scottsdale , Arizona
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2739.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	341943
Old 05-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Flagstaff , AZ
I had a similar leak in my trailer. In a hurry I failed to include the outdoor shower in my winterize routine and it cracked. I have to winterize after every trip from September through May. I was able replaced the valve set myself but I still had a little drip drip drip going on in about the same place you report. Long story short I took it to Airstream of Scottsdale and they fixed it. I don't recall what they charged for that fix because I had several issues addressed at the same time but overall the charge seemed reasonable to me for the work I had done. It took them about a month to get to my trailer because of their backlog of work.
RT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #5

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Exactly the same symptoms, turned out to be the city water inlet.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks I appreciate you guys getting back to me I just did another test and Iíve got water everywhere I filled up the holding tank turned on the pump and Iíve got water juicing out all over from the rear tire to the sewer storage holder.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiduty View Post
Thanks I appreciate you guys getting back to me I just did another test and Iíve got water everywhere I filled up the holding tank turned on the pump and Iíve got water juicing out all over from the rear tire to the sewer storage holder.

Is this with the city water connection NOT connected to a hose...just using water from the fresh tank when the pump is on? If so that eliminates the city water connection assembly as the culprit.

So...when you turn on the pump, does the system pressurize and then the pump turns off...but there is a leak, and the pump cycles on and off, or does the pump stay running when you turn it on? Are you getting any usable pressure from any of the sinks, etc?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I disagree with pcskier on one point. It is possible for the city water inlet to leak when the city water hose is not connected but the pump is on. It happened to me.

I have a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud. It's kinda similar to the 2007 Safari 25FB.

I don't know how different it is, but here are my pointers for chasing leaks on the street side of my trailer. So I hope some of this applies to you.

1) My fridge is mounted 8 or 10 inches off the floor. Under it is a shallow storage area. The back panel of that area is made to be removed. There are just two screws holding it in. This is where you go when you are winterizing with antifreeze. There are several plumbing connections here that could have gone bad.

2) The area under the closet also has plumbing. The panel that is below the closet door is also a hinged door. Pull/pry it open and look around.

3) There is an enclosed area in the back of the closet. The top panel is just held on with two screws. Take that off and look around.

4) If you need more access to the enclosed area at the back of the closet, the other panel can also be removed. There are screws on the backside, run in at a shallow angle. Remove those screws. Then wiggle and try to pull it straight up. There are three wooden pegs that attach the bottom of the panel to the closet floor, glued on both ends. And there is glue on all three sides of the vertical panel. (overkill in my opinion) You might snap off a peg or two...

5) If you still need more access you can try to unscrew the shelf bottom from underneath. Or get brutal and fire up your power tools. I cut a giant hole in the bottom of my closet. When I was done, I put it back, mounted so I could easily remove it when the next leak happens.

6) Your cell phone is your friend. You can stick it into places you can't see and get pictures/video.

7) The city water inlet fixture used in 2013 has a two-piece plastic body. The seam between the halves is known to be leak-prone. There are four screws on the back that hold it together. Sometimes you can stop the leak by tightening those screws.
SSquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
I had a similar issue a few years ago with my '08 25FB in the middle of an extended trip.
Turned out to be the water pump leaking, $125 & an hour laying on my back fixed it. My pump is under the closet behind the bottom swing out door. Disconnected the duct for more room. Installed a Shurflow 4008, much quieter than the original.

If you open the door, lay down & have someone turn on the pump you may spot the leak. Good luck
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
There is also a screwed in panel in back of your closet that when removed, very easy, will give you visual on your city water inlet using flashlight. Make sure fittings are all snug and tight in this area.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
There is also a screwed in panel in back of your closet that when removed, very easy, will give you visual on your city water inlet using flashlight. Make sure fittings are all snug and tight in this area.
That is where my problem was as well. Leaked if connected or if I
turned on the water heater. Water heater raised the line pressure I guess.
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The city water fill will leak if allowed to freeze. This can occur when the system is not blown out with compressed air, but is pumped with antifreeze and if the outside faucet line is not opened to allow antifreeze into the faucet and water fill. On some trailers it is easier to pull the whole pex system in order to make the replacement. You can try tighten the screws holding the two halves, but that is a maybe fix. Bet bet its buy a new inlet and replace it.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote