Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Question Double Stick Tape

I recently discovered a leak above the back bumper (surprise). Fortunately I discovered the leak before any major floor damage occurred. I removed the mylar covered strip from the aluminum strip at floor level. I removed the screws and rivets holding the aluminum strip (at least enough to get to all the back bumper). I cleaned and caulked above the back bumper and am now waiting for the caulk to dry. In the meantime, I began searching for double stick tape to re-apply the mylar covered inset in the aluminum strip. There must be a million double stick tapes out there. I did a search on this site but did not find the right post. Maybe I was not using the right search words. Anyone know what is the best choice to use? Help!!!
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The ones designated for auto body side moldings. 3M is my mfr of choice.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Morgan guy, can you post some pics?
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I Buy It at Auto Zone

...just as dznf0g says, it's auto body trim and molding tape made by 3-M. Purchase the size that is the same width as the flexible, brown underside of the chrome trim strip.
You must remove all the old, tape residue and do a final cleaning with denatured alcohol or similar.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I am having trouble getting my pictures to upload from my phone to my computer. Will upload when I get this sorted out.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
The problem I am having is there are dozens of 3M tapes available. Which type specifically is best to use. It seems the foam core won't be strong enough but other than that, I am not sure which to use.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I used 3M Outdoor Double-Faced tape made to hold signs, etc, in place...it was about 1.8" thick. Our trim insert had come loose...the tape was the perfect width to insert into the track (there are probably different widths)...and that trim isn't going anywhere now.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Based on suggestions I received in PM's, I am ordering 3M 5952 VHB (very high bond) tape. I will post an update when I try it out.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Warm enough today, so I installed the tape on the flexible trim and then installed it in the aluminum strip. Still haven't gotten my computer to talk with my phone so no pictures to post. Hopefully after I cleaned everything up with alcohol beforehand, it will stay there for a while. The trim at the back was only a year old. Last year while driving in New Mexico I noticed something flapping around behind the trailer. I pulled over out in the middle of nowhere, NM and discovered that the flexible trim had come loose for about ten feet in the back. I pulled the rest loose around to the door and replaced it when we got home. Since I had only had it a year, I did not want to discard it when I was repairing the leak.